Author Topic: super charger and turbo  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Gaz_golf_gti

• Members
super charger and turbo
« on: July 11, 2009, 04:48:43 pm »
hi wanting to do sumthing different mayby a bit stupid so hear goes would it be posible to run a turbo and a supercharger like the old lancia s4's and if so how much work would be required?
i aint a novice mechanic i have three years at college and have been workin with all sorts of cars from feraries to fiesta's for the last 10 years.
so any info would be greatly appriciated

cheers gaz

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
Re: super charger and turbo
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 04:58:13 pm »
i dont see why this would not be possible, but i think the main issue would be where to position the supercharger
as a turbo manifold would be right in the way!

maybe it could it go at the back of the engine next the inlet manifold?

Offline Gaz_golf_gti

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »
as the engine is goin in a mk1 golf their is a little bit more space than the shity polo lol sry ppl but they are so was thinkin maybe drop the charger so it is lower down under the manifold i am runing a 90 amp alternator which sits further forward than the standard one.

what sort of internal work would need to be done to the engine?

will i need to lower the compression more?

will i need a stronger crank ect?

Offline Gaz_golf_gti

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:12:31 pm »
or should i just go out and find a 1.4lt gt tsi that is twin charged as standard?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »
maby should just start by showing some respect some these "shitty polo's"

If your wantin our help you might not want to try a "shitty" polo forum.

sorry if that sounds fnasty but you can imagine that i have spend a good few thousand pound on my polo and dont appreciate this "shitty" phrase

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
Yeah keeping your feelings to your self might have been an idea.

Im guessing you are going to feed the supercharger with the turbo, im not sure but I should think the scroll type chargers the G40's have will cope with this to an extent. So you would be wanting a small turbo to fill the gap at low revs? This is difficult because a small turbo will only flow enough air for a small amount of power. You can avoid this on the turbine side by running an external wastgate to bypass it at high revs, but im not sure how you would go on at the comp end as your charger will be sucking more air than is possible to squeeze through your turbo.

You could have a turbo big enough for the power but there isnt much point unless you want a crazy amount of boost.

Offline Gaz_golf_gti

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:03:23 pm »
maby should just start by showing some respect some these "shitty polo's"

If your wantin our help you might not want to try a "shitty" polo forum.

sorry if that sounds fnasty but you can imagine that i have spend a good few thousand pound on my polo and dont appreciate this "shitty" phrase

lol maybe you no you have wasted your money sorry but they are one of the worst handling cars iv ever drivin and i have drivin a hell of a lot of differnt cars so if ya cant handle the truth dont start cryin mate.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:29:24 pm »
Hmm, put your money where your mouth is - Yoof/Hayesey will probably be on a track day in oulton park their 'one of the worst handling cars you've ever drivin' later this year. 

Or if its straightline speed you want - beat yoof's shitty sub 13 second quarters?!?

Beat them or shut the feck - up.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:22:07 pm »
Compound charging is quite complex both mapping & packaging.

There's several ways of doing it:

1) Use the charger & turbo independantly don't really gain a huge amount here- better off sizing a turbo properly.
2) Charger & large turbo, with an electromagnetic clutch on the charger- to cut out when the turbo boosts.
3) Charger blowing into turbo

The boost system would have to be well controlled, and the intercooling would take up a fair amount of room, mapping is quite complex, and the transition period between charger and turbo would have to be seamless.

All in all it's quite a complex job, and you're adding more components for the sake of it- with modern turbocharger design you can have something that will spool at low rpm and still maintain good top end power.

As for 'shitty polos' type in 'Polo vs RS4' into youtube  ;)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 05:13:04 pm »
Shitty? I think you need to sod off! Just because you think they handle like a rocking horse on acid isnt my problem.

Back on topic, i wonder how many arms and legs VW would want for one of those twin charged engines????

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:45 pm »

i aint a novice mechanic i have three years at college and have been workin with all sorts of cars from feraries to fiesta's for the last 10 years.

what sort of internal work would need to be done to the engine?

will i need to lower the compression more?

will i need a stronger crank ect?

oooooooo 3yrs at college and also been working on ferrari's or should i say feraries surely with ALL that experience you don't need to come onto a shitty Polo forum to ask advice, you should be giving us advice on what we need to do on our shitty Polo's seeing as you are soooooooooo well trained!

man 3 yrs of college experience......................thats loads!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:13:22 pm by Robin »

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »
Loving the read  ;D this is exactly what i have a shitty polo to blow the doors off bellends in golfs ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:27:54 pm by quiksilver_jake »

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 08:56:46 am »
can i hear an amen? lol.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 09:19:29 am »
What a numpty. Comes on the forum asking for help and slags off the car that the forum is based on, and its members basically.

Also - With TEN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE surely someone would know that super-charging and turboing an engine is very very expenisve and often produces little gain without being imaculately paired.

And a Polo the worst handling car ever, the fool has been driving to many Ferries or how ever he spells it...

"Rant over"

Administrators throw this fool to the bin!!

Offline Gaz_golf_gti

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »
lol cheers yoof o and sin ya thing on youtube lol ur the person i want to beat, you have set the bench mark nothin personal but you have beaten my mates 500bhp mk4 golf with that quarter time and maybe ma other mates saphire cosworth how about i organise a race at york with ma mates 3 door cosworth but you have to run without the solid bar rear suspention lol sry about causin any beef lol but the polo engines are quit amazing its just the way they handle i no this will cause a bit of beef but i would rather put a g40 engine in a nova then you have a fast, reliable and very good handling car