Author Topic: adjusting clutch cable?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
adjusting clutch cable?
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:34 pm »
First things first am talking the later manual adjust cables with the two lock nuts.

What do you guys gauge adjustment by?  There isn't really a way to gauge correct adjustment?  I've just put a fresh cable on and I've adjusted the cable so it's just  pressing against the pressure plate and then a turn or so to get the right biting point.   If you dont put it against the pressure plate (with movement in the 'arm') the biting point ends up right on the floor.   Adjust too much and it's way too high and runs the risk of burning out the bearing. 

Anyone know exactly how to work out the correct adjustment or is there no real rule?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: adjusting clutch cable?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:17 pm »
just personal preference dude, set it where ever you prefer the bite to be.  Just as long as the cable isn't pulling on the clutch forks all the time and that it's not so low that the clutch isn't fully disengaged when you've got the pedal pressed.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:49:04 pm »
obviously it will be pushing slightly on those 'forks' wont it hence the need for a spinning bearing.  does what i've done sound about reet?

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:16:24 pm »
there should be no haevy load on the lever fork!! The adjustment should take up the slack that is on the return spring(the one on top of the outside of the gearbox/clutch housing) it give you quite a big window of tension.  I replaced mine this week, and the re adjusted it as the rubbers settled in.  Clutch pedal position is a personnal preferance, but I don't like having it right at the end of the travel, so I'm expecting to tension it up agin over the nextd week or two.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »
yeah i think thats what ive done...i dont like it to be so low you lift your foot a tiny bit and it pulls away and i dont like it to high..somewhere in bewteen is about right. if you grab the arm you can pull it back any mind as if you can then you have a biting point thats on the deck.