Author Topic: engine oil pressure light cumming on ( intermitent fault )  (Read 3698 times)

Offline sohailG40

• Members
engine oil pressure light cumming on ( intermitent fault )
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »
hi guys i get this problem with my g40 on the motorways high speeds or long drives
i would b driving along as normal and the oil warning light in the dash lights up for about 30 seconds and then gose out
so as normal i pull over and check the oil but its fine  ???
has anyone had this problem before or dose any one no what it is

thank you for your time

sohailg40 

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: engine oil pressure light cumming on ( intermitent fault )
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:09:19 am »
I have exactly the same problem with you...
I have instaled an oil pressure and a oil temp gauge, and i mentioned that, when i drive at 120-140km/h the oil temp reach 110-115C and i have almost zero oil pressure and then the oil pressure light turns on...
An oil cooler will keep oil temperatures down so you'll have good oil pressure when running at high speeds...

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:15:44 am »
Same problem with me nd cos of that I placed oil cooler.

Problem is at 115-120 °C oil is "melting" (don't know the correct word) but thing is all supercharged engines shouldn't hv oil temperature more than 95°C.
I spoke with friend who is expert only for G40 & G60 cars nd he told me so.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:56:12 am »
Having a good quality oil pressure and temperature gauge might help you see things better.

Unless one of your oil pressure senders on the cylinder head is faulty.

Offline sohailG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:17:26 am »
first of all thank you for all your help guys

so dose this mean i need to fit a oil cooler kit to kind of get rid of this problem

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:24:21 am »
first of all thank you for all your help guys

so dose this mean i need to fit a oil cooler kit to kind of get rid of this problem

I solved problem with oil cooler...

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:03 am »
115-120degC!! That is very hot and not good for your oil and engine at all! An oil cooler is a must for that kind of temp. That should help your problem Sohail if this is the case. Would help if you had a oil temp gauge of sorts to see wheter your oil was getting that hot or whether the problem was else where!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:20 pm »
I would have thought there is something wrong if the oil temperature is getting that high.
The G40, just like any other car should be able to be driven at fairly high speeds for many miles without the oil temp. getting so dangerously high. I could understand an increase in oil temp. if the engine is significantly modified (particularly if converted to turbo) or if the car was being driven in extremely high ambient temperatures but otherwise it should be able to keep oil temps. in check.
Fitting an oil stat. controlled oil cooler on a modified car is deffinately worthwhile, but it shouldn't be used to cover up an underlying problem.
Of course it could be that Alex, A'uro and sohailG40 all have heavily modified engines and live in hot countries! :D   

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »
Apparently standard G60's oil temp can run up around 130 degrees. Its always best to use a brand new gauge and temp sender set, otherwise calibration between the two could be out. Keep an eye on your coolant temperature because if that goes high too, it might be a fan or radiator problem. If thats staying in the normal range then the oil temp gauge might not be reading accurate.

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:30:01 pm »
Apparently standard G60's oil temp can run up around 130 degrees. Its always best to use a brand new gauge and temp sender set, otherwise calibration between the two could be out. Keep an eye on your coolant temperature because if that goes high too, it might be a fan or radiator problem. If thats staying in the normal range then the oil temp gauge might not be reading accurate.

Yes y're right they are running on 130°C but this is their big problem. )95°°C is highest temp what charger can handle.

2 Breadman> let say, air temperature on summer is around 34°C - 38°C  :D