Author Topic: My first G40  (Read 3001 times)

Offline polostu

• Members
My first G40
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:46:54 am »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I'll give you a bit of my back story.

I've been into Polos since I started driving (15 years ago), working my way up from a MK2 1L Breadvan (my first car if you discount the Beetle that never quite got on the road!), Mk2 Coupe S, Mk2 Coupe S with GT engine, Mk3 GT road rally car (I was competing until recently when my Dad killed her on an event  >:( ) to my G40.
I bought the G40 off ebay last week on a whim, completely blind and cheap, so I was a bit worried that I'd just bought a whole heap of trouble!
However it appears to be a quite tidy honest little car, she needs a couple of jobs doing (the tailgates rusted on the inside for one), but I've done a few hundred miles in her already with no trouble.
Anyway here's a few pics:

The car's fairly standard, slightly lowered, stage 2 Jabba'd charger and de-badged (And my possibly naff German filler flap :-\).
The plan is to keep her that way for now as I intend on using her as a daily driver, so if anyone's got any tips on how to keep her sweet for 250miles/week, please let me know.

Thanks for looking, Stu.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: My first G40
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:53:43 am »
welcome.  Plenty of good advice on this forum so search away/ask questions and i'm sure there will be some good replies.

Basically g40s like to be looked after which means time really and a bit of expense.  Try and do the jobs before they become massive!!!

1. Service regularly - oil/filters etc.
2. ensure ignition components are in good order - plugs, leads, dizzy cap/arm and coil (these fail with age)
3. ensure supercharger is serviced - approx 20k miles on a small pulley more if a stock pulley
4. ensure its warm before booting it.

thats the basics really.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:56:29 am by PeteG40 »

Offline polostu

• Members
Re: My first G40
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »
Cheers for the info.

The charger was done about 7500 miles ago (reciepted), and it's been serviced about 2000 ago, but I'll keep on top of it.
I always get hany car warmed up before driving quickly, but more so with the G, to be honest, I'm only flooring it in 3rd upwards, and only revving to 5500rpm, because I'm mechanically paranoid!
What's the score with the PTFE spray? Is it worth getting some?