Author Topic: What parts can i have?  (Read 4332 times)

Offline BrettG40

• Members
What parts can i have?
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:17:16 pm »
Hi people,

My mates decided to break his A3 1.8 turbo, and i'm currently gathering parts for a future turbo conversion on the G, my question is what can i take?

K03
Turbo downpipe
Manifold maybe?
Oil lines?

Is there any other standard parts i can use from this engine?

Thanks,

Brett.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: What parts can i have?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:58 am »
not really anything of use from that unfortunately.  You need the turbo from a longitudinally mounted engine (e.g. passat or audi a4), ones from transverse engines have totally different housings that wont fit.

downpipe & manifold you'll need to get Rothe ones or similar, no factory items will fit.

Offline BrettG40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »
Ok then, thanks for the advice haysey, the reason im considering a turbo conversion is because if i'm going ot be spending i dunno lets say 500 on charger rebuild/upgrade and then fork out say another 200 for a toothed belt kit, wouldn't sourcing second hand parts for a turbo conversion add upto around 800 ish? And from what i can gather the turbo has more potential, possibly more reliability what you reckon?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:04 am »
You should be able to get all the parts for a turbo conversion for £800-1000 easily. A turbo should be more reliable than a G-lader and can be found for less than the price of a re-build on a G anyway. The turbo conversion is also known to be a more adaptable tuning option as well.