Author Topic: Mixing flexis  (Read 3327 times)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Mixing flexis
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
Is there any reason why you shouldnt mix flexis, ie braided on the back and rubber on the front? It would be a temporary solution anyway but can anyone think of a reason why it would be really bad?!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Mixing flexis
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:07 pm »
I can't think of any reason why that would cause a problem.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:28:46 pm »
Neither can I as long as there isnt any issue with the rubber ones but then that would be a problem anyway. Its just that it says it on the goodridge box of the braided ones I bought. I was just wondering if it was to sell more braided hoses or whether there was a legitimate reason that I was missing that would cause an issue.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »
Its more of a cover your arse senario i think, though if you have 4 rubber flexible hoses all swelling slightly under heavy hydraulic load, then fitting only 2 stainless braided ones, means that any swelling thats no longer happening on the new braided hoses, may be increasing on the exisying rubber/rayon braid type.

I have braided on the front(about 2 years ago) and still have not got around to fitting the rear ones, and can report no noticable problems as yet, may ge around to it this summer.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:34 pm »
that's all I can think too but I can'#t see it being an issue unless the rubber pipes are pretty worn out (which would be a problem whether you fitted a couple of braided ones or not)!  Perhaps they are more getting at mixing rubber & braided on a single axle which I guess in theory could mean one brake is acting slightly faster than the other (since the rubber hose could swell before the force actually gets applied to the piston).  Again, I;d be amazed if it was noticeable unless the rubber pipe on there was worn out.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »
Yep that was my thinking on it too. Cool. Its just because I cant be arsed to change the Corrado mid pipes that go over the axle. They are a right pain in the arse when the car is on axle stands. When I get round to doing those I'll save a few jobs up and borrow the neighbours pit for an afternoon.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:21 pm »
Never thought about mixing side to side, but think we all got the same line of thought on it. ;)