Author Topic: g40 head rebuild parts confirmation please  (Read 3460 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
g40 head rebuild parts confirmation please
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
I'm going to rebuild the head on my g40...again as i stupidly didnt use new valve guides last time and I'm a strong believer especially now that if its coming apart i might as well change the rest of the bits all again. so before i head to vag with my pants round my ankles have i listed everything here?

G40 head bolts
head gasket
cam shaft oil seal
dizzy oil seal
rocker gasket
valve stem oil seals
valve guides (any idea on price from vag approx?)
timing belt (might as well)
tappets? (vag price?)
thermostat housing seal

I'm gonna get an engineering place to build it up for me cos i want them to check tolerances etc and sort the head out.

anything i've missed?

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: g40 head rebuild parts confirmation please
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:22:10 pm »
I began to price up a head rebuild for my old GT G40. I know your used to dealer prices but the numbers will scare you.

Rocker cover gasket - £23 when i bought one on Tuesday for my G40.
Oil Seals are about £5 each.
Headbolts - £50 a set
Tappets are in the £20 region, so again about £150
Valve Guides are £20 each
Belt is £20

Thats around the £500 mark and its not a complete list of what you need. I can knock up a full list if you want but I hope your piggy bank is full <_<

I know VW do a gasket set for about £120 but I don't know what that contains. Struggling to see what it will include for that price.

sure somebody will give you a definitive answer to your question but nothing strikes me as missing from your list.

EDIT - Most parts will need to be ordered in so bare that in mind.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:26:37 pm by giorgio »

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: g40 head rebuild parts confirmation please
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:44:19 pm »
cheers i know the prices for the other stuff its just tappets and valve guides.  i have already bought the other things before.  i never paid the prices you paid though.  paid about 14 quid for a rocker cover gasket!  ill dig the receipt out now

cam oil seal - 11.34
head bolts - 34.51
rocker gasket - 14.46
timing belt - 6.80
thermostat O ring - 1.49
dizzy oil seal - 4.48
valve stem oil seals - about 25 quid a set (cant find receipt)

88.08 + vat around 15 quid = 103.08

thats excluding valve guides & tappets.  don't think i need tappets to be honest. but valve guides seem expensive.  i reckon im looking around 200 quid for all parts.

plus about 100 quid for an engineering place to sort it all.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:21:16 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: g40 head rebuild parts confirmation please
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:53:25 pm »
[quote pid=1270 author=supercharged spaniel date=1210420577]I'm going to rebuild the head on my g40...again as i stupidly didnt use new valve guides last time and I'm a strong believer especially now that if its coming apart i might as well change the rest of the bits all again. so before i head to vag with my pants round my ankles have i listed everything here?

G40 head bolts
head gasket
cam shaft oil seal
dizzy oil seal
rocker gasket
valve stem oil seals
valve guides (any idea on price from vag approx?)
timing belt (might as well)
tappets? (vag price?)
thermostat housing seal

I'm gonna get an engineering place to build it up for me cos i want them to check tolerances etc and sort the head out.

anything i've missed?[/quote]

Tappets? Why you're going to replace them? Are they noisy? If they aren't noisy there's no reason changing them because the bill is going to raise up...