Author Topic: Private Car Purchasing - What you dont know..  (Read 3341 times)

Offline dcc

• Members
Private Car Purchasing - What you dont know..
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »

Well I recently sold my 205, It was my "weekend" car so to speak, I didn't really drive it enough to keep it long term, being in university and having another car to run. A great idea was thrown forward by a friend, sell them both and buy something which is both quick, cheap to run and reliable.

Started to do a good bit of research and came across a few cars, Volvo d5, Golf gti/tdi, polo gti, lupo gti etc... When i had found the car I wanted, I took it for a test drive, checked the oil for traces of water, checked the water for oil, exhaust wasn't overly sooty (no signs of over fuelling) and checked everything over thoroughly for rust etc which might have been hiding. Signed for the car, paid the man in cash and thought I had a bought a good car (nothing £500 from a man in the pub, but a fair price for a nice looking car).

now the horror story...

When buying a 2nd hand car, from a private seller, you have almost NO RIGHTS when problems occur, in my case, after driving for 40-50 miles, at 60 mph, developing a misfire and then watching 1/2 of your engines oil get thrown out the back in a cloud of black/blue oily smoke. then you have the events of 'phone call to RAC>recovery truck>recovery truck 2>home' which took nearly 6 hours from start to finish (from the first Truck arriving - apparently the RAC don't pay their sublet companies to cross the Severn bridge). I get the car to a local garage next day, who tell me the engine is kaput, I show them the rebuild photos, with new parts being fitted such as oil pump. The compression tests on the engine showed 70-75 psi across 3 of the 4 cylinders and 0psi on cylinder #2 (from gearbox side). The minimum wear on these engines is 6bar (roughly 85 psi), so even though the engine had been 'rebuilt', it was quite obviously unhealthy and on its last legs when I bought the car.

In terms of rights, I have been advised by the Citizens Advice Bureau that unless the car was sold as otherwise advertised (ie, told it had a new part, but actually didn't) then there is not a lot which could be done. The word rebuilt can cause the mother of all f**king assumptions. Just because something has been rebuilt, does not mean it has had ANY new parts in the eyes of the law. I am 99% confident when I say this, but if you bought a car or anything for that matter, which had X rebuilt, YOU would expect it to be stripped down and 'rebuilt' with new items where needed, not just reassembled with the original parts. Trying to take action against a seller in a private purchase is like pissing into the wind, you will spend a lot of money, time and effort and end up being told that its your fault as you agreed to buy the car and it now your possession and the incident happened when it was in your possession.

Well, the basic reason for this post is to make people more aware to the way in which you can buy something which may not be what you think, and stand almost no rights when/if a issue should arise. Maybe its just my bad luck, that a engine should blow after 40 miles of careful driving (Truthfully, when you don't know the roads at all you tend to take you time and don't rag the arse end from your new car).

Well that's the end of my rant/story. Comment as you wish, call me a tit or unlucky, either way, it was a purchase which has bitten me (and my bank balance) in the arse and is currently mocking me from my (now oil soaked) driveway.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Private Car Purchasing - What you dont know..
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
yeah unfortunately its buyer beware....  I tend to either

1. Buy from someone I know
2. check in detail the reciepts (i.e. if someone has paid £100s then i'd expect some form of reciept)
3. double check things on the car. If someone has nothing to hide, they wont mind a bit of spannering to inspect it...i.e. charger pipes, or even a compression test or plumbing in a boost gauge.

also I tend to take a mate or two, might look mob handed but they'll be less excited than I am and more critical.

I also tend to gauge the owner as well as the car.  i.e. Knowledgeable enthusiast who points out the bad bits as well as good. Or person who knows nothing about the car at all....  I know which I'd buy from.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
like you've said, a "rebuild" doesn't mean anything unless they have receipts to prove exactly what was replaced and what work was done.  Even then you are trusting the sellers actual ability to do an engine rebuild, if done wrong then the engine will just be a ticking time bomb.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:39:53 pm »
pretty shocking news to be honest..youd be utterly gutted however much you paid for it.  Only thing you can do is try and salvage what you can from it and make a bit money back i suppose?

Offline dcc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:35 pm »
Well I am going to take the car to a local garage and get them to either rebuild the engine OR source a new engine. Personally I want an engine which will last rather than just something for a fast replacement.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:02:40 pm »
i wouldn't necessarily say it was on its last legs either. It could just be a crappy head rebuild which means poor compression and a stem seal leaking oil into the piston.  You'll not know untill you inspect it.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:04 pm »
well i went to aw tracksport for an engine rebuild on my car and they messed it up big time, only lasted 2000 miles. so even if big money and receipts are kept from so called respectable companies still doesnt mean that the engine is a good 'un.

gutted for you. what exactly has gone wrong with the engine? did the garage say.

im looking to sell my car when its running correctly but i wont put it for sale until im totally happy that its running perfect as its not fair to sell someone else your problems. its a shame that some people will sell you their problems and wont give a shit about it.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02:02 am »
i really dont know how you can mess a polo engine up there soooo simple!

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:47:47 am »
aw tracksport can

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:40:31 pm »
i really dont know how you can mess a polo engine up there soooo simple!

I was wondering this. I have built the odd engine totally wrecklessly (usually for somthing to smash round a field etc) with swarf in it and knackered parts and they always seem to last. I think the main causes for early engine death are the dreaded silicon sealant etc. Other than that as long as you fit everything and tighten everything up and it starts and runs there shouldnt be much to worry about.