Author Topic: Oil coolers  (Read 3557 times)

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Oil coolers
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:03 pm »
Well since PSD have now closed i was looking around at alternative sources of this particular product & to be honest it is a bit of a mine field (this could however be due to a lack of knowledge on my part). However i have done a fair bit of research an sourced a shop on ebay which sells a specific G40 one.

Price is £105 + postage, this includes a 13 row cooler and the fitting kit 1/2 bsp piping etc.

Now in my mind this is a fair price an comes with all the bits part from a thermostat which is an extra £15 i think.

Now assuming this is to go on a G40 running arouund 150bhp its quite possible for the oil temperatures to clime very high under hard working conditions, bearing in mind the standard oil temp is around 90-100'c untill worked hard an can be up in the low to mid 100's.

Assuming the above i would of thought a 16 row cooler would be more suficient??

Any thoughts, comments welcome (even if you wana tell me how wrong/stupid i am  :D  ) go easy though

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Oil coolers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
what width is it?  To be honest, you only need a small cooler on a g40 to do the job.  You definitely want a thermostat though, it's easier to get a sandwich plate which has one built-in.  I just bought the cooler itself along with the sandwich plate (I got them from PSD but places like rallydesign sell them too), then decided where I wanted to put it and what length pipes I'd need.  Then went to a local hydraulic pipe place and they made me up the pipes in 2 mins while I waited for about £20.

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Oil coolers
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »
13 row x 235mm oil cooler, well i was thinking the same as you but i remember reading on the psd sight a while back an he was selling the kit with a 16 row cooler so i was just checking what was best really.

What im really looking to do is buy the cooler first then get all the bits needed seperately.

I have seen a heavy duty mocal one little bit more expensive though but most probably worth while
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:03:17 am by wozzaG40 »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Re: Re: Oil coolers
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:04:37 pm »
Don't buy off the shelf kits. Save a few quid and get down your local Pirtek depot for custom length hoses ;)

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil coolers
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:03:06 am »
[quote pid=1217 author=Nick_S date=1210107877]Don't buy off the shelf kits. Save a few quid and get down your local Pirtek depot for custom length hoses ;)[/quote]

Cool well this is what im currently looking into at the moment