Author Topic: Stand Alone Charger Oil Supply  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Stand Alone Charger Oil Supply
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:45:03 am »
After blowing a lader seal last night i am going to do a stand alone oil feed.

Does anyone know what oil pressure and flow the lader needs?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Stand Alone Charger Oil Supply
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:28:33 am »
to be honest dude even in the unlikely event that someone does know the flow rate of oil into the charger the figures quoted for those Facet pumps will be meaningless anyway as they are assuming fuel is being pumped and not much thicker oil.  The pump I had with my stand alone was the cheapest of the Facet rectangle ones, it only ran at a few PSI but that's fine.  It's the same as the PSD kits used anyway.  I don't remember the pump's part code unfortunately.

The main concern is using the pump for something it's not designed for.  You need to use pretty thin oil, I used compressor oil in mine most of the time.  Also some very thin fully synth oil should be ok.

I'd say it's pretty important when building your stand alone that you connect a pressure gauge to the oil outlet on the charger.  I'd recommend using a mechanical gauge with a stainless braided hose from the outlet into the car.  An electrical gauge will usually be too slow to update.  Locate the gauge so it is easy to see while driving and keep an eye on it!  There's a couple of threads on this forum about stand alones if you do a search.

The ideal solution is to use a proper electric oil pump but prices start at about £150. 

I've also heard of people (seems popular in portugal) using pressure regulators on the oil feed line instead of a stand alone kit to stop oil pressure going to the charger from getting high and critically stopping it from surging which is what causes problems. Some just use restrictors on the line but I'm not really convinced these will do much good, an actual hydraulic pressure regulator should do a good job, not sure how much these cost though!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51:55 am »
hayesey, would you fit the hydraulic pressure regulator in line on the feed hose which goes from the back of the head over on to the charger yes?  Then set it to only allow a few psi to the charger, i quite like the sound of this would be pretty easy to do and could save your charger seals.

Grant

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:15 pm »
yeah it'd go on the oil supply line to the charger.  I'm not sure where the best place to get a suitable hydraulic pressure regulator is though.  I've seen some flow restrictors but I'm not convinced they'll do a right lot.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »
one of my mates works in a local company which is sort of the same as hydrasun or pirtek so getting one shouldnt really be a problem, as for the pressure you think about 5 psi would be enough for the charger?

cheers grant

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:38:16 pm »
It's not only pressure you need to consider, think about flow rate of oil needed.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:03:39 pm »
any ideas about that then i e flow rate required??

cheers

Offline rich4130

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:22:10 pm »
anyone know the size of the banjo bolt on the return side of the charger? I want to run a pressure gauge from it to keep and eye on it!