Author Topic: rust under the battery!  (Read 5464 times)

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
rust under the battery!
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:00:19 pm »
i was happily driving along the other day when a load of rusty flakes fell onto my feet!

removed the battery today to check where its coming from and found a nice hole!

im thinking to repair it il just angle grind a square section out and rivet some
sheet aliminum over the hole?

is the best approach?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: rust under the battery!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »
it's not ideal but it'll do.  Welding is the best way.  But some people even just fibreglass over it! 

If you do rivet over it, make sure you cut out all the rusty bits and paint the metal with god anti-rust paint.  Then you'll need to put some kind of sealer like stikaflex on the plate before riveting it in place to stop any water leaking into the car.  Then cover the area with underseal.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »
The classic rusty feet in a mk3 syndrome. As usual Haysey is on the money. Make sure you get ALL of the rusty patch out then get someone to weld another plate in there for you if you can - shouldnt cost too much at all for someone to do this and will be much better than riveting a plate in. Either way use loads of sealer after and all will be well..

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:16 am »
i've just done mine as i had the same problem, i took the whole dash out and welded a plate over from the inside of the car and i also welded the battery tray back up, i do have some pics of this on my mobile but i need to find my data cable to upload them, definately do not rivet a plate on, as it won't stop the corrosion eating away (drilling holes for rivets could turn to rust spots over time), grind the rust away, seal the clean edges with primer and weld new plates, it is a lot of messing about but its well worth it.

Cheers Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:56:36 am by tdh-syorks »

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:34 am »
I have some repair brackets that i had a sheet metal fabricator make me. They are the actual bracket that holds the rear of the battery in situ. If anyone wants one give me a shout (i have two).