Author Topic: front panel...pics inside please look.  (Read 3484 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
front panel...pics inside please look.
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »
Ive been generously given this genuine vag front panel (as far as i know), it has the vw/audi stamps on it and is coated in some horrible waxy shit but i have a few questions about its fitment.  I am not 100% sure wether ill use it yet as mine isnt too bad rust wise.

front panel

these holes?  are they where the spot welds go onto the lower bumper brace?

the metal brace from the front part onto the light housing support, the one closest the centre of the panel?  the one fitted to my car currently doesnt have this small brace only the ones closet the outer ends?  any reason for this? you can see yoofs only has the one.

are these holes again for spot welds?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:43:39 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: front panel...pics inside please look.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
the holes are where someone has drilled out the spot welds to remove the panel from a car.  You could plug-weld them to fit this to your car if you wanted, I don't think I'd bother if yours is already ok and not bent or rusty.

yours should have the middle support thingy, I guess someone must have removed it then, no idea why that might be.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »
Mine does have the middle support and doesnt have any missing bits, it looks like yoofs with only  one light bracket support at each end but this panel has an extra support on the light bracket backing? Itdoes look like this panel has been removed but it looks new? It's still in the original black coating that new panels come in? It's weird really.  Mines very straight and the body shop has said they can spot blast the rusty spots away so I might just keep this as a spare... Still wanna know why this would have an extra support on each side?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:21:54 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »
I fitted a new one over the winter and it's got the two supports. I reckon it's just an additional brace to reduce vibration in the headlights. Conversely the single support ones could be defective issue that were fitted anyway. "The Manufacturer reserves the right to change spec." covers a whole world of production line fuck-ups. This didn't stop when British Leyland stopped.