Author Topic: 'rules' for breaking a g40 - discuss (tongue in cheek)  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: 'rules' for breaking a g40 - discuss (tongue in cheek)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »
Richard- It's a shame you broke Alan's old car, as I guess it was the last Black UK G40 to roll off the production line... if not one of the last G40s to be made for the UK market, quite a special car really.

I've stripped a G40 of it's running gear to get my GT up to spec, so I can't really talk, although I sold the shell on to be refreshed back to former glory.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: 'rules' for breaking a g40 - discuss (tongue in cheek)
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:22 pm »
Yeah Pete, you could well be right about it being the last black G40 made and indeed one of the very last of the breed.
To be honest though, the car was very tired. Whilst it looked reasonably tidy on the outside and the interior trim was pretty much mint, it would have needed a lot of work to get it to the standard I wanted.
The shell had covered 168k and the underbody was quite dented from being so low. The jacking points were squashed, the paintwork was badly scratched and stonechipped and IMO many of the parts needed completely overhauling. Only recently I found out that it hasn't got the proper G40/ ATV gearbox either which is a real downer. >:( The wiring loom was a mess and none of the additional electrical bits worked properly.
My G reg mk2 is in way way better condition, in every respect. I much prefer the shape of the mk2 anyway and all the parts I didn't need/use from Alan's car were sold on.
The G40 shell was completely bare of all panels and trim when it went to the scrappy, only the n/s front wing which was bent anyway and the electric glass sunroof were left on the shell.