Technical > Engine and Transmission

Ιntercooler fan

(1/2) > >>

Alexiskayak_7:
In Greece at summer we have 40+ Celsius sometimes... Yesterday we had 29degrees and after a ride i touched the intercooler and it was realy HOT... I was thinking puting a fan behind the intercooler with a swich where i will turn on/off the fan...

Is it a good idea,  will it help the intercooler?

PS:I have the stock intercooler and i don't whant to change it so my G be as most stock as i can...

Thank you....
                                                                                                                               Alex

hayesey:
it will only help airflow through the intercooler when the car is not moving (sat in a queue of traffic or something), just like the radiator fan does.  It'll do nothing when actually driving, possibly even restrict airflow slightly.  I'm not sure it'll do what you want, perhaps an intercooler spray would work better?  You get these on things like Subaru Imprezas and Mitsubishi Lancer EVOs, it's just like a windscreen washer but sprays cold water onto the intercooler.  I've seen one or two G40s in this country with them.  A lad a I knew who once had a G40 simply connected a pipe from the rear window washer connection on the washer tank to two old windscreen washer jets mounted either side of his intercooler.  Then what used to be the rear window washer on the steering column lever now sprayed water onto the IC.  How much use it was in rainy north manchester I don't know but sounds ideal for you!

Alexiskayak_7:
Water spray... I was thinking about it... The onh ly thing that i'm afraid is: when the ic in hot and i spray the water, it will do a crack? Also will the spray work at high speed or the water is going to be totally spread?

hayesey:
I don't think the temperature changes involved are going to be quick enough to cause any cracking.  As I say, these things get used on imprezas and lancers from the factory so I think you'll be safe.  It's not like you are taking red hot aluminium and dropping it into a bath of ice cold water.  Another option is water/methanol injection into the airstream itself.  Have a Google search for Aquamist, lots of people in the UK using that.  I've got a kit myself but it's currently living in one of my kitchen cupboards!  In fact I need to do something about that...

Alexiskayak_7:
Wow, water injection system is realy expensive... You are right... It's imposible the IC cracks... So you have a AI system and you didn't instaled it YET? In the other hand at UK you don't have hot conditions, but in Greece extra cooling is a need epsecially wen you have 40+ degrees Celsius (104+ degrees  Fahrenheit)!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version