Author Topic: Gearbox question  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
Gearbox question
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:58:11 am »
I don't hv original ATV gearbox but placed on it gearbox fm Seat Arosa which is much more shorter than original. In 5th gear at 3000 rpm car is running 85 km/h so this gear box is sutible for hill racing but not for regular driving.

So my question is can I change 5th gear (now is short) for some longer one? Let say put in it 5th gear fm ATV gearbox?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Gearbox question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:16 am »
you can change fifth gear yes, since on 085s the fifth gear is just under the black cover on the end of the box you can change it relatively easily without doing a full strip-down of the box.

You'll first need to find out what code your box is and then either find the gear ratios of it on the internet somewhere or work it out by looking on ETKA or Vagcat.com.  You'll also need to know the final drive ratio. 

You can't really just assume that putting a fifth from an ATV will give you a longer fifth gear, as the full gear ratio is a factor of the gear itself plus the final drive ratio.  E.G. G40s and GTs have pretty much the same gear ratios but it's the final drive that makes a g40 box a fair bit "longer".  Fifth from an 8P box might work as these are pretty long gears, I know a fifth from an 8P into a G40 ATV box will give it a slightly longer fifth.

But you need to know what actual ratios are in the box you have before you can choose which gear to use.

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:35:13 am »
tks mate. will check it but now know what to do.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »
As a general rule of thumb, try and find a replacement gearbox from a 1.6 small engined VAG car. These have longer final drives more suited to G40 usage.