Author Topic: Project 'Grey' 180!  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Project 'Grey' 180!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »
the chassis legs have been plated over with extra material already :-)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:57 pm »
Took a day off work to carry on with the G.

Got the mist wired up and plumbed in.

Wiring is all done in the engine scuttle area, hopefully everything will work properly as its going to be a right bitch to undo all the tape if there is something wrong with the wiring.

Got all the dash transfered as well, wanted to keep the flocked dash as it so much better looking than the standard dash! just got to get the gauges hooked up, wiring is all there ready.

Door cards are on as well, so so much easier to do this kinda stuff on old cars, took me an hour on the Audi!

The poor red G is now starting to be stripped slowly of its bits!

Will finish off the interior tomorrow and then i'll either start on the engine or the suspension, don't know which yet!

Offline MartinB

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:59:32 am »
Looking good. Was your phone down in that corner to use the light from it to find where the carpet hooks to? Carpet is a bitch!

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
Update.

Spent today sorting out the interior, the seats and door cards are in place now, just got the gauges to do but i'll do them when its raining or something as i can do that in the garage, better of doing all the major stuff outside when its nice and sunny.

Ripped into the red G this afternoon, transfered the rear suspension and also put new rear axle bushes in.

Stuck the old G40 rear badge on as well and removed the rear wiper.

Tomorrow will be doing the front suspension which i hate as its always a right pig to do and also will take the engine out of the Red G. Its all going well so far!

There is a chance of it being ready for Festival on Saturday but its still needs MOT so might be a tight one!

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:36:11 pm »
Good progress again mate  ;D

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »
Yet another update.

Spent today fitting the front suspension along with the stage 3 PPP subframe, put some new G40 TCA's on from the red G as well, much much easier fitting TCA's etc when the stage 3 subframe as you don't need to mess around with that stupid ARB!

Was interrupted mid day due to a meal with the mother seeing as it was mothers day so when i got back i was straight on the job again fitting the brakes and wheels on.

Took off the exhaust on the red car and started to take the engine out, good job it was on gravel stones as there was quite a bit of coolant that leaked out!

Eventually got the engine out and split the gearbox from it as i got a gearbox oil leak so i need to seal that up before the engine goes in the car.

Got some new engine mounts to go on so waiting for those to come through the post. Its all going good so far! Updates will keep coming!!!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 11:01:37 am »
Going really well mate. your not hanging about lol! Did you have any trouble with mounting the subframe on the grey shell after being fitted to the red one or was it just a straight swap?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 11:20:28 am »
the red one had a stage 2 subframe (which is for sale by the way) but i got a stage 3 one for the grey car now.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 12:58:09 pm »
WOW!!!
Love grey G's so much! looks like a sterling project mate!!! good stuff!

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:23 pm »
Not done a massive amount tonight.

Finished off the interior gauges, all wired in now so thats the interior completely finished.

Split the gearbox apart to seal up the mating faces as it was weeping oil, hate the smell of old box oil!

Fitted the front end with the FMIC and radiator. 

Also fitted the 22mm master cylinder which was on the Red G.

Next task is to clean up the engine itself which won't be easy as its proper minging right now!

Will be dropping off the bumpers at the bodyshop this weekend to have them half colour coded.

Shouldn't be too far off from being finished soon!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
right nice project this...looking forward to seeing it finished.  the flocked dash looks great!

Offline Dipesh

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »
any pics of the chassis strenghtening?

looking good Robin  ;D

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »
i'll get some pics up for the chassis work when i can dig some out.

just an update on what status the car is in now.

Engine is in, put it in last night, exhaust is on, everything plumbed in engine wise

got the driveshafts to fit along with the lader and boost pipes,

gave the car ignition for the first time and the fuel pump wouldn't stop priming and then i found a fuel leak so it pissed all over the garage floor - great!

will have all weekend to work on it so hopefully should suss out a few things!

got to all the nitty gritty shit now

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »
Yet another update.

Sorted the fuel priming issue out, turned out the earthing from the engine to the chassis wasn't good enough, now its all good.

Fitted all the boost pipes and intercooler.

Wired in and plumbed in the mist.

Took the bumpers to the bodyshop on Friday morning and picked them up today, they look bloody wicked!

Also bought a new set of plates as the old ones were a bit minging.

Fitted a new fuel filter, uprated fuel pump and all new fuel hoses.

Not much left to do on the car now, gotta sort the gear linkage out as its all to cock right now due to it all coming off from the red car so it needs setting up again which is a right ballache.

Gotta sort out some piping for the oil cooler i have now fitted to the car.

Need to bleed the brakes all round, i hate doing it!

Hopefully i'll be in a position to have the car MOT'd and have the alignment sorted on Friday!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:43:56 pm by Robin »

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »
Wow, can't believe how good the grey c/c bumpers look. A must ! They must have sanded back that texture pretty damn fast an all !