Author Topic: Advice!  (Read 7734 times)

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: Advice!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »
told you there was helpful people on here

always good to here other peoples ideas so you can decide whats best for yourself

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 07:43:42 pm »
Well the carb was purely an afterthought, would be much easier/better to go with the g40 injector system. Would also be easier to upgrade if i fancied a little more power!

Consequently, any idea where the best place to find a g40 crank is? And cams? I'v seen the shrick ones, and they are expensive. What do they offer over the standard cam? And also, is the crank breather essential, what is its main function, just to reduce pressure in the case?

H&S

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:56:58 am »
As i recall the crank breather on a 1ltr is just the pipe coming up to the air filter casing inside the air fillter allowing the gases to be re-burnt.
There is a non return valve and summat else inline on a G40.
Also if you use a CL 1.3 block wich has been done successfully then you either need a
complete G40 head or a set of Exhaust Valves as G40 ones are sodium filled for heat
dissipation.

Fred.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 09:09:47 am »
i once heard that also pete, and also it was cast out of a different grade material to the standard block. not sure if thats true?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 09:37:29 am »
I really doubt they'd bother going to the expensive of using a different material, I still think a normal 1.3cl block will work fine.  Although if you are to use g40 management then you'll need to drill and tap the stub that the knock sensor fits on.  At least with using an eaton you wont need to drill and tap an oil return. 

Yes the exhaust valves are sodium filled on standard g40 heads.  I reckon you'll get away without those though as long as you make sure the engine is in good order and doesn't get too hot.  The big valve heads don't have sodium filled exhaust valves and even when used with turbos last ok.  Although they do have a larger valve to seat contact area so can dissipate more heat that way.  I think if you keep boost levels to 1 bar or less then it should be no problem, might get away with more too...

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 04:52:43 pm »
So i block the knock sensor return on the ECU? I thought there would be some trickery to be done with the electrics, but was thinking it mite be i'd have to fit sensors. Seems to be the easier of the two though, thankfully.

Well as i said before, a conversion has been done on a standard block, and lasted, so i'll stick to it. And are we clear that the head will work fine, if boost levels are low enough?

A question on crank shafts though, were they different on the g40's to normal 1.3s? Or GT's for that matter? And can anyone suggest a decent cam. Not looking for break-neck performance, but which are best for running with an eaton and standard injectors?

Thanks again to everyone though, great to have be part of such an enthusiastic group  ;D

H&S

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 05:12:01 pm »
no I meant drill and tap the stub for the knock sensor which is on the back of all the blocks, just on a non-g40 it has no threaded hole in it. 

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 05:24:19 pm »
What, so is it a small nub of metal?

H&S