Author Topic: Advice!  (Read 7728 times)

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
Advice!
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:29:02 pm »
Hey, im new to the site and have heard that this is THE place for G40 advice. Im looking to do a fairly large conversion on my engine. Its a 1.3 atm mk2, but i'm looking to supercharge it. Was looking for around 150bhp with a GT inlet, and an eaton m45 charger. Apart from that, i cant make up my mind on what to bolt to my lump!

Any ideas would be grand!

H&S

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: Advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:31 pm »
welcome prankster

first thing you need to do is work out what you need for the conversion to strengthen the engine you have so the compression ration and internals are good enough for a supercharger and 150bhp, work out costs on this and weigh them up against buying a G40 lump. also depends on whether you wanna just pop an engine in or prefer a challenge to rebuild and totally modify a lump and be different.

if i were you i would look into options before jumping into any rash decisions and buying bits you may not need

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »
Oi its you again! Ha! thanks for all your advice yesterday, taken some of it and joined up here too. Huze said that its possible to eaton a 1.0, he did it after all!

Whats going to need strengthening then? Isnt it as 'easy' as replacing bits with g40 bits? And it the challenge im after, but if i can get a cheap lump, thats more than an option

H&S

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:02 pm »
Do you not think it's challenging enough to get an Eaton mounted and running on a G40 engine ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:04:49 pm »
swap the engine for a g40 one.  yes you could supercharge a normal engine but you'll have to run such a low amount of boost it's not worth the effort.

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:13:49 pm »
I have no idea to be honest, is an eaton a challenge to get running then? If i was to buy a G40, i'd strip it back anyhow, and be tempted to replace many of the hard wearing parts, i.e. cams, crank and the like.

As regards boost, if the pistons, crank and gaskets are replaced with G40 ones, it essentially has the same displacement as G40 with similar compression ratio. Or is there something im missing? httuning.co.uk have done it!  ;D Im open to ideas here, but work is no option really, the challenge is the enjoyment. And as regards finding a g40, theyre are expensive and theres the hassle of transporing etc. I have two 1.0l to play with, its worth a pop really. Even if it dont work!

Thanks though

H&S

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:06:44 pm »
tbh if you look at a thread which is somewhere on here you will see how realiable a supercharged 1 litre is. and thats not very reliable. there is a few videos for it.
lasted about 2 miles

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:28:52 pm »
Ha, is that all! 2 minutes of unadulterated fun though?

I have a few months until i get started, so i'll continue to greatfully take peoples advice, and consider the g40 engine option. Looking through here, theyre a little more numerous than i originally thought

H&S

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:31:27 pm »
still a rare car though and getting rarer.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:47:19 pm »
could also check ebay.de for engines.   ;)

at a minimum you could use a g40 crank and pistons in a normal 1.3 block with 1.3 head.  But then you'll also need the proper g40 ecu, injection system and loom.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
would you also need a g40 throttle body or not

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:54:51 pm »
yeah you would, or rig up some other kind of boost return valve mechanism

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:11:23 pm »
Thats kind of what i was going to do. As the block and head castings are the same for the g40 and 1.3l, replacement of cams, crank and pistons should make it similar to the g40. Is the head gasket different too?

I was thinking of using an eaton to alleviate the boost return issue, as its not essential either. Was considering a forced induction carb, Thus alleviating electric problems. But have decided against it as this throws up as many problems as it might solve. But if anyone has any ideas, i'm open. Was thinking about possibly using a 1.3 mini carb since i have seen several of these with eatons on.  Power may not be as much, but thats not what im after. It'll be dropped into a stripped mk2 anyhow, which a should reduce weight

H&S

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 07:21:47 pm »
i've heard g40 blocks are slightly different casings - internall webbing for strenght. Not sure whether its true tho

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »
I'm not convinced that is the case, I reckon using a normal 1.3 block would work alright.  I guess you're not going to be after huge boost levels anyway if you're thinking about using carbs etc...  Personally I'd just get hold of g40 injection system, seems daft not to when it'll be straight forward, not /that/ hard to find if you look in the right places (as already mentioned  ;) ) and you don't have to compromise between decent power and day to day driveability.