Author Topic: boost gauge.  (Read 2587 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
boost gauge.
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:34:41 pm »
have just fitted a boost gauge to my G and although i know everyone suggest "T"ing into the vacume hose going to the fuel pressure regulator i was doing the boost return mod at the same time and instead of blocking it up i used the hose going onto the inlet manifold, is this suitable? just when am boosting the needle flickers and am only getting 10psi i expected more to be honest my charger is a psd full blend and it has also been to jabba for there R1 with toothies aswell.  Maby thats just my lot? what does a healthy charger run psi wise?

thanks for any info
grant.

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Re: boost gauge.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »
With toothed belts/R1 you should see 15psi at high revs (6000rpm). GT manifold or headwork may reduce this slightly. Peak boost is really just an indication that the engine can't take in all the air from the charger at high revs. A better indication of charger health is the boost pressure at the maximum torque point; you should get 10psi by about 3000rpm. If you have a standard airbox it will have a big affect on maximum boost.

The connection at the front of the throttle body will probably give some odd readings off boost. It's drilled in line with the throttle plate and is something to do with controlling the carbon canister purge valve. I just T in the boost gauge at the ECU connection. It's easy to route through to the interior from there as well.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
Re: boost gauge.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:25:32 pm »
cheers bud will see wot i get at 3000revs, yeah i got a gt inlet and a ported and polished big valve head so that might account for sum loss.

grant