Technical > Chassis & Braking

Leaning Polos

(1/5) > >>

Alex:
Other than coilovers I mean.

The problem is, mine and many other Mk3 Polos seem to lean onto their offside rear wheel.

This makes the car sit an inch or so lower on that side. Even standard ones do it.

Mine's been lowered for years, and I've tried all sorts (including swapping the shocks over, and buying new springs) but to no avail.

Now what I think is happening is that the driver, engine and fuel tank are all on that side. Bad design, yes, but I can't believe that they left the showroom like that.

I've also had the car checked out, it's a straight shell and has only had one small rear end ding in its life.

Which means it isn't damage, something is wearing out, and then causing the car to lean.

But what?

Rear beam bushes?

Has anyone sorted this? It's pissing me off. I'm going to wind up buying coilovers to sort it, and to be honest that's just masking the problem.

Any ideas?

Raw:
[quote pid=899 author=Alex date=1208306990]Other than coilovers I mean.

The problem is, mine and many other Mk3 Polos seem to lean onto their offside rear wheel.

[/quote]

It's the same on my G40. When I first got the car the offisde rear spring had been set 1 notch lower than the nearside, so I evened them out and now the car sits lower on the nearside. I'm gonna have to compensate and put it back how it was.

You probably won't need colies, just some aftermarket suspension that has ajustable hight rear's (most do for the polo). That way you can do what I'll be doing and set them at diffent hights. I'm using KW suspension and the steps are about 15mm appart.

Alex:
Thing is, that's just covering it up, something must be wearing out and causing the dreaded lean.

But what is it?

Raw:
[quote pid=914 author=Alex date=1208350835]Thing is, that's just covering it up, something must be wearing out and causing the dreaded lean.

But what is it?[/quote]

Only thing to do is measure the spring lengths. I suspect that the off-side has been perminantly compressed due to my fat ass. I'll check next time I've got the rear wheels off. Either that or the top mounts are different in some way?...

SpikeyG40:
Its something that has interested me also.   But my vento used to do it too!   Now i have coiles on that, it still seems to lean a little bit, even adjusting out the suspension the difference didn't seem to sort it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version