Author Topic: Wrong way round lean  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Varley

• Members
Wrong way round lean
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:02:47 pm »
Got an issue with the G whereby the passenger side rear wheel sits about an inch or so lower than the drivers side, causing tyre to rub occasionally.

Seen threads before that suggest all mk3's tend to sit 'on the piss' but the general consensus is it's to do with RHD ones having more weight on drivers side but this is obviously the other way round.

I'm gonna change the rear beam bushes as I reckon it might be that given that they're pretty much the only ones I haven't changed!

Checked spring is ok and seated correctly.

Any other ideas?

Or any support for my bushes theory?

Cheers.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Wrong way round lean
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
I'm having Gaz coilovers fitted and full suspension alignment in the next few weeks -  I'll be asking the guys what they think when it's in bits.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:37 pm »
Varley, there are only two things that can cause the suspension to sit lower on one side. As I'm sure you know the rear suspension is very simple on the Polo. It can only be either the springs which holds the weight of the car or the beam itself.
You say you have checked the spring so we can assume it hasn't broken, which is fairly common. I doubt it has a badly sagging spring on just one side either so I don't reckon that's the problem.
IMO much more likely is a bent rear beam. Does the car apppear to have more/less camber on one side? To check the beam isn't twisted, ideally you'll need to take it off and lay it on a flat surface. Does it lay completely flat? Take some diagonal measurements to ensure it's "square" etc.
The beam bushes could possibly be badly worn, though I've never seen a set that are completely shagged out - even on a 170k heavily abused example they were ok.
The rear beam itself pivots off brackets that bolt to the body. The bolt holes are big enough to allow some movement which can be used to help align the axle laterally and fore and aft. This wouldn't cause the car to sit lobsided though.
Hope this helps,
Richard.

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:02:48 pm »
Yeah cheers Richard, hadn't considered a bent beam.

How likely do you reckon that is though? It seemed to happen more or less overnight and I hadn't crashed it or anything!

I kinda hope it is that now, otherwise it'll be something really expensive knowing my luck.

It will have done about 120k on the bushes so seems prudent to change em while the beams off. Spring definately not snapped and is has only done about 20k from new (H&R) so unlikely sag.

Is the beam G40 specific?

Cheers,

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
beams are gt/g40 specific