Author Topic: JP Race - gearbox rebuild  (Read 11286 times)

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
Re: JP Race - gearbox rebuild
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »
There was a topic on Gearbox Rebuilds a while ago.
Was it not you Paul (hayesey) that said you got the knackered
bits back in a bag to show what they replaced.
Was this the same people that have turned out a bag of bull feces.
I want my box rebuilding so who has had a proper job done.

Regards, Fred.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 02:36:46 pm »
I've never sent a box off for a rebuild Fred so it wasn't me.  I do recall someone saying that they got a bag full of old bits back though.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »
me i got a bag full of old bits back

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »
Sorry for that Paul, had it in me head it was you. I did try to find the post but to no avail.
So Spaniel, seein as it were you, Where did you get it done seein as your answer doesn`t give
much away.
It would be nice to hear about it and how the Gearbox is now.

Regards, Fred.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »
http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindListings/1009955/S.A-Brear-Gearboxes/Gear-Boxes

S Brear in leeds

Fantastic place, took my box there and had it checked out and a few bits replaced, sent many a friend there and they all said same, great guy, and great service

Dropped box off and was told can collect day after, got home and had a missed call saying it was ready to collect

Offline polo dan

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:13 pm »
http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindListings/1009955/S.A-Brear-Gearboxes/Gear-Boxes

S Brear in leeds

Fantastic place, took my box there and had it checked out and a few bits replaced, sent many a friend there and they all said same, great guy, and great service

Dropped box off and was told can collect day after, got home and had a missed call saying it was ready to collect

definatly not jp then if it was done that quick  :D

hayesey robs box is odd , it has lay shaft rattle  , and it spat a flange out which i just bolted back in , the thing it dose is shake the car on lock like a broke cv joint , any ideas as the box is going to be looked , but we cant test as the cars gone  :'(

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:06 pm »
a plate diff will do that to some extent.  What oil have you got in it? Plate diffs are very susceptible to the oil you use in them.  I used to use silkolene boa90ls in my old gemini diff and it was fine, used the same stuff in my Gripper diff and it didn't like it, lots of chatter at low speeds (which is what you are describing). I spoke to the guy at gripper who makes the diffs and he recommended Morris Loxedol XFS 80/140.  Put that in and the chatter is pretty much non-existent.  I told yoof to swap to it too as he was using the same silkolene oil (which I'd recommended to him  :o ) and he also thinks it's much nicer in low speed manoeuvres.

If I were you I'd open up the diff and see what flange nuts (  :P ) are in it.  If they are shiney home made looking things then throw them in the bin and put the normal VW ones in.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 11:02:33 pm »
I get that grinding noise on mine at full lock.
The JP flange lock nuts are shit. I thread locked mine up just in case when i got it back. Recently i found out the torque setting for the flange centre bolts and went to check mine. Low and behold the thread stripped out of the lock nuts before torque was acheived. Thats why your flanges have popped out from JP because they couldn't fully tighten them  :o

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 10:34:15 pm »
I had my box rebuild there about 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems since... It's a shame they seem to have let things slip as I only heard good stuff about them before.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:50 pm »
Sorry for that Paul, had it in me head it was you. I did try to find the post but to no avail.
So Spaniel, seein as it were you, Where did you get it done seein as your answer doesn`t give
much away.
It would be nice to hear about it and how the Gearbox is now.

Regards, Fred.

?  i said jp race hence my reply? ha ha  read page 1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:37:25 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 12:39:23 am »
Yeah sorry for that Spaniel. i realised after i posted that but thought bugger it. Going senile
in me old age  :-[

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »
My gearbox was rebuilt by JP race a few years ago by the previous owner. i hope its going to be ok!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:06 pm »
Well I've done a few miles and mine seems ok. It seems to be the uprated ones that have problems? Are Jp only putting the home made nuts or bolts or whatever on those that have had different diffs fitted? Would they need to change them on a stock rebuild? When you say full lock do you mean when turning full lock? Mine grinds or clunks a tad when parking on full lock but it's always done it's just the suspension as the tyres skip rather than the gearbox.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:27:09 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »
well most of the problems in here all just effect when they have fitted gripper diffs and make their own flange cup nuts.

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 01:16:21 pm »
My gearbox was rebuilt by JP race a few years ago by the previous owner. i hope its going to be ok!

well most of the problems in here all just effect when they have fitted gripper diffs and make their own flange cup nuts.

Like hayesey said, a few years back there where there no problems with JP. Never heard any complaints from the Cup racers

Glad my rebuild is couple of years old, and the box just have a few miles on it ;D