Author Topic: Rebuild  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Daryl

• Members
Rebuild
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:04:58 pm »
hello i wonder if you guys and girls can help me. Ive picked up a cup car engine up at the weekend and looking into rebuild it as i guess its had abit of hard life plus the mileage is unknown.

Does anyone know the parts i would need to rebuild it and are the parts available  from vw?
Anyone recommend a engine builder?

Cheers Daryl

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:01 am »
yeahyou can get all the parts from VW, bear in mind that if you decide to replace piston rings and all bearings then parts alone will come to at least a couple of hundred quid. 

As for an engine builder I would speak to a local garage and try to find out who they use.  Any local decent engine building place should be OK doing it.

Not sure how you can do a compression test with the engine out of the car (any ideas anyone?) but you can certainly get hold of some plastigage and check the bearing clearances. If well within specs then I'd just leave them, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  This is what I've done with my current engine, just replaced the rings, rehoned the bores and checked all the bearing clearances.  Then gave everything a good clean.  The engine I started out with was like yours, had been lying about for a while, very manky and unknown mileage, turned out to be good once I'd stripped it down and cleaned it though.  Not bad since it cost me £50.

Offline Daryl

• Members
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
Cheers hayesey hoping to have a good look at the engine this weekend.