Author Topic: J599 CWB - Cat B - Genuine VW Polo G40  (Read 5235 times)

Offline JoeH

• Members
J599 CWB - Cat B - Genuine VW Polo G40
« on: July 07, 2023, 09:35:07 pm »
Price offers over £3,250
Intro
Here is my Cat B Polo G40 for sale - J599 CWB – to be sold as a whole.
The car was involved in a slow speed (20mph) collision to the nearside. Thankfully nothing critical is on that side of the car, the fuel tank is the other side. Interestingly no glass is broken, and the: driver’s door, bonnet, tailgate and sunroof all open and close. I haven’t tried the passenger door. Nearside roof gutter line and bottom of sill appear true. The car was tracked after it’s accident and it’s all within tolerance.
After discussion with the insurance, it is too be written off. Cat B, which means the car must be broken, or not used again on the public road.
This means the car could be used for racing / track days. Or one could transplant the engine into another shell. A Polo mk1-3 or possibly a mk1 Golf. The engine and running gear are all undamaged from the accident and run fine.

G40 Spec at time of accident/sale:
Engine
Derestricted air box (paper filter).
Ported R1 spec charger with stock pulley size, rebuilt by PeteG40 – never had a small pulley or chip
51mm ported and de-wedged throttle body
Gt Inlet Manifold
Rebuilt 1272cc Engine with Ported head - normal size valves. Head work and engine rebuild done by Tipton St John Garage, Devon in 2016.
Vernier Pulley (but stock cam)
PPP 4 branch manifold, (release batch 2, supercharger version)
Stainless exhaust
Stock ECU
All mods bar exhaust were made at 130k. Made 122bhp at the club polo rolling road in 2018. A sensible map and pulley and the current 122bhp should increase a lot, as the porting etc has all been done.

Chassis
Quaife diff in a rebuilt G40 gearbox. (Actually, allows the car to put the power down)
PPP stage 2 subframe (basically a big rectangle strut brace)
ARB Nylon blocks on ARB
Nylon outer TCA bushes, Poly inner
40mm Koni yellow suspension /dampers
Braided brake hoses
(all mods bar brake hoses were made at 95k)

Rest of car
Royal Blue LA5U, no body panel is perfect, I wouldn’t value the car on its body panels.
Interior is good – bar passenger side door cards. Rear seats weren’t in at the time of the accident, so they are fine.
Chassis has had extensive welding to deal with corrosion.
Engine and charger were rebuilt 25k ago, car is at 155k. Gearbox rebuilt at 95k
Prior to the accident, the car was in good mechanical condition. The main issues were – small leak of coolant from the radiator, occurred at higher rpm’s. Heated rear windscreen had some broken elements. Minor front wheel bearing rumble on sharp bends only.

Prospective buyer.
The buyer needs to understand this is an accident damaged car, the primary value in the car is the engine & gearbox.
The buyer is to arrange collection of the complete G40. It drives, rolls, brakes well enough.
I’m not interested in splitting the car – the prospective buyer is welcome to do that once it’s theirs.
Price is offers over £3,250. (If it doesn’t sell I could accept the scrap valuation the insurance have offered me, however it seems right to offer it enthusiasts first).
Located East Northants

Should you be interested. Please email, josephhart760@hotmail.com with a sensibly worded message.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:10:49 am by JoeH »

Offline JoeH

• Members
Re: J599 CWB - Cat B - Genuine VW Polo G40
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 09:36:26 pm »

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 09:40:37 pm by JoeH »

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 09:38:21 pm »

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:01:08 am by JoeH »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 01:53:12 pm »
if you do decide to split it, I'd potentially be interested in some parts.

Offline rsdave

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 11:19:44 pm »
Is that a new front cross member?

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 10:19:03 pm »
Is that a new front cross member?

Yes, a pattern part.