Author Topic: Lazy Starter Motor?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Lazy Starter Motor?
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:27 am »
Hi all,

When I start my G from cold it always turns over REALLY slowly ..... as if it's not going to start at all but always does first time! 

I am used to the starter motor packing in and having trouble starting but this seems a different problem.  I guess still a new starter needed but just wondered if anyone else had come across this?

Gemma

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Lazy Starter Motor?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:50 am »
sounds like a worn out battery that's not holding it's charge very well overnight to me.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »
sounds like a battery more than a starter.

its only 3 bolts to take the starter off. Take it off and clean it up, then add some copper slip to the gear. This quietened down my starter.

Not sure if it made it start better but it sounded alot healthier

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:11:01 pm »
I had this problem with my G. As Haysey and giorgio said check the battery with a multimeter first (should get about 12.7 for a good battery, mine had 12.53), or get a garage to do it for you.

If (like mine) the battery's fine, follow haysey's guide in the FAQ and clean up all of the earthing straps and battery connections. Some of them were really corroded on mine, preventing the large amount of current required to crank the engine to get through. Having done that this weekend, fingers crossed, it appears to have sorted my lazy starter woes!

Ruling out both of these doesn't take long and its free!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »
Thanks all.  I should hope it's not the battery as just bought a genuine VW a couple of months ago!  Good point re the clean up - I'll have a look at that when my car isn't so covered in snow!

Gemma