Author Topic: POLO TWINCHARGING  (Read 2233 times)

Offline capri-green-g40

POLO TWINCHARGING
« on: October 11, 2022, 01:28:40 pm »
HI IM PLANNING ON TWINCHARGING MY G40 BUT IM UNSURE WHAT POWER A STOCK INTERNAL ENGINE CAN SAFLY HANDEL AS IN THE TOP END IT WILL BE EFECTIVLY A TURBO G40 AND IM NOT GOINING TO BUILD THE BOTTOM END INTILL I KNOW MY CONSEPT WILL WORK

ANY HELP WILL BE GRATLY APRICATED
ALEX

Offline capri-green-g40

Re: POLO TWINCHARGING
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 09:11:59 am »
iv done a bit off digging and found that around 1.2 bar is as fat as most turbo engines go on stock pistons is that true as I'm really not sure?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 05:13:59 pm »
I ran 21psi (which is about 1.45 bar) on standard pistons for a few years. I did also have water/methanol injection too.

This youtube video taken on the rolling road after we'd finished doing some mapping is with that setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxirX8L4wjE

Didn't have any issues, I put in forged pistons because I wanted the extra cc and comfort of knowing that they'll be stronger.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 05:17:02 pm »
when you say twincharging do you mean using a smaller turbo and a larger turbo or using a supercharger and a large turbo?

To be honest in either case, I'm not sure the effort required would be worth it. you could use something like a k04 or a hybrid and get big power without much lag really. I'm still using a k03 but my aim is to have a car that goes well on track days and doesn't blow up (too much!) rather than chasing numbers.

Offline capri-green-g40

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 05:27:03 pm »
thanks for the response
its not really about chasing numbers its more along the lines of something interesting to try and see if i could get working well to deal with my own curiosity although I'm well aware its completely pointless as turbos are so efficient now 

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 01:45:03 pm »
it'd certainly be interesting to see.