Author Topic: can someone please help me out with engine troubles!  (Read 2787 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
can someone please help me out with engine troubles!
« on: March 02, 2020, 02:07:28 am »
right please forgive me for sounding like an arse but i’m sick of reading different things all over the internet and people claiming to be vw super mechanics when it’s clear they no jack sh*t.all i want is some proper advice from fellow g40 owners so i can get my car running again.
i will cut a long story short my g40 ended up with water in 3 cylinders due to being left sat for 3 years so i did a full rebuild changed every gasket,but bolt and everything i could.i then payed some clown to fit the engine as i had no room and weather to bad to do it on the front.turns out he blew 7 sensors,set the timing wrong and basically cocked the whole thing up.
since then i’ve replaced said sensors set timing marks as well as i can for a 28 year old motor and it still runs like a turd!ive replaced co2 pot replaced knock sensor replaced isv valve and also replaced blue temp sensor and wiring harness for sensor.the problem i seem to have is when blue temp sensor is unplugged revs won’t raise or drop so adjusting timing is making no difference.any suggestions on why blue temp sensor is not responding to anything?i aquired a dizzy new cap arm and leads from an auto jumble today so i’m going to stick that on as i think mine is abit suspect as it’s original bosch and took some damage early on.
if anyone can please give me some advice on this sore subject i would be incredibly greatful and apolagies if i come across as an arse as i say reading so much crap everywhere just frustrates me as i don’t know who and what to believe any more so if anyone has genuine helpful advice please feel free to help the situation many thanks in advance matt

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
Re: can someone please help me out with engine troubles!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:50:24 pm »
start with the basics , cam belt timing sometimes folk get the marks mixed up , is it the correct dizzy part number as others fit but run badly

are all earths fitted and clean

have you tested the blue temp sender on a meter?  check again at the ecu plug

does the car have the diag plug ..you can read a few bits of data /fault codes

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 03:08:33 pm »
i’ve checked timing marks probably 10 times i’ve allowed for movement in crank marker and also the fact i’ve had head skinned twice.
dizzy i picked a replacement up from an auto jumble last weekend funnily enough and it had new cap leads and arm on it and was assured it came of a fully working engine.
blue temp sender i offered a replacement from vw so that’s been fitted
and all earths have been cleaned or replaced if they don’t look up to the job.
as i say my main concern is the fact nothing happens when i unplug the blue temp sender ive unplugged and checked every sensor on the car.and also have vw software on the laptop and no faults are coming up which seems good.
thanks for the reply by the way very much appreciated

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:57:25 am »
whats the part number on the dizzy

what does the measuring blocks say on the computer

its typical if theres a sensor fault for the revs to not change when you pull the sensor

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:58:42 am »
i will upload blocks for you when i next have a tinker it will be one day this week.im having to work around the weather at the moment sadly.
it’s an original bosch i will get the part number next time i’m out