Author Topic: instrument panel removal  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Big Eric

instrument panel removal
« on: August 08, 2019, 05:59:33 pm »
HI There,
              When removing the instrument panel assembly, according to the haynes book of lies and omissions you just pop the
              special tool or equivalent into the four holes and bingo the instrument panel should just pop out. So what do you do
              if it wont come out? The panel is held in place by spring steel clips which spring out and lock the panel in place, so when
              you pop in the release tools the springs are forced inwards so that the panel clears the panel aperture for removal. The
              problem i had was when the removal tools were inserted instead of forcing the retaining springs inwards the tools
              went under the springs and forced them further out because the spring clips were not in alignment with the tool
              access holes.  What kinell do i do now? access at the back of the panel nil, remove the Facia panel!! fortunately at
              the time i had removed my old CD/Radio, I managed to get my hand through the radio access hole and compress
              the nearest springs and fit the retaining spring tools in.That gave me enough clearance to remove the Instrument
               Panel.So fellow G owners ask yourself do I rely need to remove the instrument Panel?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: instrument panel removal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:03:52 am »
yeah they're a pain those clips.  I've done the same as you in the past, remove the radio (or whatever you have in the radio hole, I have an AFR meter and an oil pressure gauge in there) to get access to one side then get some limited access to the other side by removing the headlight switch.