Author Topic: Injector airlocks, 100% convinced... Bleeding fuel rail... :-)  (Read 4310 times)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Injector airlocks, 100% convinced... Bleeding fuel rail... :-)
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:51:21 am »
Hello! :-)
I've had a load of luck this year getting 2 cars to run properly, and now I'm 99.9% convinced I know what fixed them...

I've hardly started mine since it ran out of petrol last time but it had trouble getting to 4k this morning and lumpy idle again. The smell of unburned petrol in the air..

Before I did it I said to my Dad, "I bet bleeding the fuel rail fixes it" just for fun... 2 Minutes later it was lovely and back under lambda control and that load of clean water came out the exhaust, just like Matt's seemed to just at the same time as we checked the fuel pressure on his last week...

I recon the dizzy-end injector had a bit of either bubble or muck making it far too lean - making unused oxygen go through the outlet meaning the o2 sensor thinks it needs more fuel in, piling it in causing the over-fueling… Without running it out of petrol and some test-kit I'll probably not know until next time...

Presumably it'll bleed itself at full power at 4k, mine won't ever get to being a driveway-toy!!!

Do newer ECU measure each cylinder's CO cycle, or even know which is 1 vs 4 is being fired, do they fire individually? Do wideband sensors pick up that sort of single cylinder change?

So many questions, I'd love to meet the blokes who managed to fit the engine in the space it's in let alone wire it up!

NEAL:-)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Re: Injector airlocks, 100% convinced... Bleeding fuel rail... :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
Bleeding the rail certainly helped matters I agree.
And now we seem to be on top of the timing that’s helping too.ive noticed the knock sensors are a problem on these mine keep getting to hot and crumbling I’ve been through 4 in a year and obviously they play a major role in the running of the engine.so I need to find a way of stopping them from getting so hot and breaking down.
As we said they are 25 year old classics so they are never going to be problem free so we learn new things about them each day you’ve ceryainly taught me a few things and I’m hoping that vcds software will also aid me in keeping ontop of things too in future

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »
Just that oil pressure light to sort out and I'll call it quits until the respay is done..
the barrier coat has just come for the roof so i bet that'll be done today.. you wanna see the fresh sprayed bonnet not even been flatted is shiny.
Glad of my dad, he is curator of the shell!
Museum piece one day.!
Cup tea anytime? Gotta look at your other chip when we get a mo...
Cool matey, wahey, two workin cars between us in 6 months, not bad eh!

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:06:18 pm »
Ah I’ll find you that sender sorry mate.
I will come and check out your spraying may get you to help you cover all my Tesco do is up in the future.ill be over when mines running I’ve got the vcds software on and it works so I’m going to give it a try tomorrow so I’ll give you a call with the results.shame the weather has lost the plot not really spraying weather at the minute sadly

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:32:25 am »
intresting , never hear of anyone bleeding em

what results do you get on the gauge , ive just had one delivered

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
Yeah normal ish sort of thing on the gauge at Matt's is the only way to interpret the actuality of it, it was one I got by accident that did 500psi! I got it for 100psi post-rehaul oil-pressure but can't imagine 500psi anything being trusted near it. But the needle did move significantly, like mine did.. A bit of petrol spurted when the pipe blew off, there's power behind it..! :-|

There's probably a difference between cars sat on driveways and ones that get a run to pump anything through with full opening load levels...
You remember that trouble I had with hunting and idle and stuff, seemed to cure itself around the time of testing the fuel pressure.... When it ran out of petrol it ran like a dog, until I did it again I stated to think, but I also think "crunchy wiring" often..
Then Matt's went from black-sooty-fume-ridden exhaust to clean-water about the time of a pressure test... So I "tested" mine. It's not like a 5sigma result, but next time it runs out I'll bear it in mind..

And when mine ran out on the drive again, I put a canfull in, it started and I left it while we've been spraying..

If you've got lumpy idle still give it a go mate! :-)
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 08:16:45 pm »
have had a crapy idle yeah so will see...easy enough to get at anyway

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 08:15:18 am »
can you describe how youre bleeding it please?   just ign on and crack the little bolt or with it running?

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 10:53:42 am »
Best thing to do is put abit of pipe on the end of the rail the end with the nit on.open the nut put a little tub underneath to catch the fuel and literally crank the engine over just so it bleeds some of the fuel through that’s why u did the other week anyway and it made a difference:-)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:22 am »
Yay good to hear from you Matt..! How was it, relaxed I hope on holiday..
Cor still playing Steevo, i feel for you matey.. nothing worse than a not working car..!

Hows the car Matt had any deliveries.? Im up for a play whenever you are matey!
Cool, nice one..

My car blew bubbles out the bolt just from the power from the ignition running the pump for that few seconds on startup, if you're brave ive done it engine running, recommend not but if you do use 2 people.. and i just dribbled it in a rag!

Funny though ive not started mine since we started spraying. Ran like a dog and black smoke for ten mins.. jiggled the wires, bled some fuel, back to normal.. next time I'm going to put 12v on the lambda heater see if any better...

Wierd things.!!

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:12:58 pm »
dont think 12v on the heater will help it ...they only chime in at 80 degree coolant by which time the exhaust has most likley heated it or soon after

you can watch the signal on the vcds

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:40:05 pm »
Getting somewhere i hope Steeve!! :-)

I do get a decent lambda controlled level wavey signal straight from go almost on mine, if i disable the immobiliser with a clothes peg inside the steering column ive found this week. The heater 12 powers the coil and pump etc too.. with a big fat wire straight from the battery to it negates the clothes peg.!!
There's no wait for that nice lambda control wave, mine's not waiting for coolant temperature for it to be working but i can see it's probably tweaked with temperature..

But all my fiddling comes back to the immobilser. Its a vw one but i bet the vw loom extension didn't follow with the last body.!! Ive stuck a staple where it's on/off line would be.

There's strange spikes all over the trace with the engine running just without the peg on, wouldn't be surprised if the dizzy is throwing big noise out..
If it were mine I'd stick 2 x fat wires to the dizzy and o2 power feed
And try feeding the ignition key with a jumplead. !!

Good fun i hope, were halfway through spraying again but no more until spring!
:-) x 10^6
Neal

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »
I made this video of it running either way, you can see the marked difference...
All that so**ing time, gahhhhhhhhhh! Oh well I got my hands oily, always nice.

I will probably put a relay in place of the ty-wrap and wire it up to the old immobiliser if I can even if it's just for key-fob remote on/off ness. The sound-detectors I don't think are here and hardly seems worth putting the siren in if it involves guessing with the wires it just has one.!

Yehaay, this might save me some time in the future when I've forgot what I did!
https://youtu.be/Cz6RUigDDn4

Don't suppose you know anything of the alarm pin-out do you? It's a VW one...

Cool, always pleasing Steeve.!
NEAL