Author Topic: Strange happenings with timing  (Read 3834 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Strange happenings with timing
« on: September 01, 2018, 05:12:11 pm »
Me and Neal finally sorted the problems with the car test got the timing marks set up and got to the point of setting it with the strobe.we moved it up the z mark at 2000rpm took it out for a drive and had zero boost but it ran niceley.so I then thought I’ll set it without reving it to 2000 and we had full boost but the timing mark is now nowhere near the z mark this morning.i thought I’d cracked it but it seems my theory was wrong as I did read that some g40s didn’t need reving to 2000 anyone have any input?

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Re: Strange happenings with timing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »
Just to check, have you got the blue plugs out again to test it...?

I concur, it went from smooth-quick-ish to neck snapping in one very slight turn of the dizzy.,,
Tell you what it's a monster at the moment without the pulleys, but remember to fill your tyre up properly (after leaving the easy-bleed on lol!)
Did you get your laptop on-it? Lemme know if you need hand wiping it but I bet you know how..
Once it's factory-reset it'll take ages to do lots of windows-updates and I've found VCDS doesn't work properly with them running in the background.. Expect 6 hours of updates and if it's less be nicely surprised.!
:-)
Neal

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:43:38 pm »
I’ve not tested it today
It was football early afternoon so spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning plugs,checked lamba sensor and surprisingly it wasn’t covered in sut but I cleaned it anyway.
I put an earth on the distributor cleaned the earths on the inlet manifold and checked the knock sensor was ok while I was there too.
Laptop is going back to factory as we speak so I’ll see what happeneds there but I’ve just been looking round at people’s opinions on timing and it amazes me how many have had issues with timing seems there an arse to find the sweet spot.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:37:01 pm »
This is a Digifant guide, on page 126 is the timing check... It does say hold it at 2k.. :-)
http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Vanagon%20Digifant%20Fuel%20Injection%20System.pdf
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:29:48 am »
are you sure its the correct dizzy?  and worth looking where it sits , if its at the end of the adjsutment slots something isnt right

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:06:06 pm »
This came up because there was a good change in acceleration on the day with the timing set with the it done it idle compared to held at 2kRPM. I was holding the revs up which gave it boost, but hesitation.. With special chips and big injectors and porting et al, really it needs to go on a dyno, even if just 2 minutes to set the timing. That PDF has quite a bit of nice generic info, worth a browse!
Cool
NEAL :-)

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 03:16:25 pm »
It’s definitely the right dizzy it’s an original Bosch that came with the engine it’s just been rebuilt and everything internal is correct hall sneder is wired up spindle is the correct way up etc it has never been right since the distributor cap filled with oil and the rotary arm got chewed up!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:06 pm »
Got a ported throttle body? Or a dewedged one? I had issues when I dewedged my first one about 12 years ago. I've read a lot of people having hesitation issues with ported TB's. I just put it down to too much air causing lag (effectively). Not sure this would make it run badly though, I would imagine it just affects tickover on/off throttle response. If everything is definitely correct (timing, components working correctly, wiring all ok and not intermittently snapping) then it sounds like something mechanically adjustable. Maybe try a few bits off Neils car like ECU to see if that makes any difference?

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:29 pm »
Yes tb is gas flowed Ported polished and dewedged all the usual stuff but never really had any problems with it up to now mate

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:36:33 pm »
Anyone want a g40 I’m getting sick of the dam thing now!its now back firing a running like a turd agin.its knocking,backfiring cutting out sounds absolutely herendous and I’m back to scratching my head again.neal was great again today but unfortunately I lost my rag with it as this has gone on for to long now!

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 10:21:46 am »
Yeah see how you feel when you get back...
If you can get arrange transport you can try a few bits off mine, don't give up yet bruv
Cool, happy holidays
NEAL