Technical > Engine and Transmission

Strange happenings with timing

(1/3) > >>

matthg40:
Me and Neal finally sorted the problems with the car test got the timing marks set up and got to the point of setting it with the strobe.we moved it up the z mark at 2000rpm took it out for a drive and had zero boost but it ran niceley.so I then thought I’ll set it without reving it to 2000 and we had full boost but the timing mark is now nowhere near the z mark this morning.i thought I’d cracked it but it seems my theory was wrong as I did read that some g40s didn’t need reving to 2000 anyone have any input?

NealPeal:
Just to check, have you got the blue plugs out again to test it...?

I concur, it went from smooth-quick-ish to neck snapping in one very slight turn of the dizzy.,,
Tell you what it's a monster at the moment without the pulleys, but remember to fill your tyre up properly (after leaving the easy-bleed on lol!)
Did you get your laptop on-it? Lemme know if you need hand wiping it but I bet you know how..
Once it's factory-reset it'll take ages to do lots of windows-updates and I've found VCDS doesn't work properly with them running in the background.. Expect 6 hours of updates and if it's less be nicely surprised.!
:-)
Neal

matthg40:
I’ve not tested it today
It was football early afternoon so spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning plugs,checked lamba sensor and surprisingly it wasn’t covered in sut but I cleaned it anyway.
I put an earth on the distributor cleaned the earths on the inlet manifold and checked the knock sensor was ok while I was there too.
Laptop is going back to factory as we speak so I’ll see what happeneds there but I’ve just been looking round at people’s opinions on timing and it amazes me how many have had issues with timing seems there an arse to find the sweet spot.

NealPeal:
This is a Digifant guide, on page 126 is the timing check... It does say hold it at 2k.. :-)
http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Vanagon%20Digifant%20Fuel%20Injection%20System.pdf
NEAL

steveo3002:
are you sure its the correct dizzy?  and worth looking where it sits , if its at the end of the adjsutment slots something isnt right

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version