Technical > Engine and Transmission

Timing issue after full rebuild.

(1/5) > >>

matthg40:
I’ve had my g rebuilt and sadly it came back running like a sack of spuds.i recently discovered the car came back with the timing was a tooth and a half out.so I’ve had ago at putting it right myself as I’ve done it numerous times but as soon as I line my marks up and put the belt on and attempt to tighten the water pump the crank pulley mark moves.does anyone have an explanation as to what could be the problem and how I rectify it please.

steveo3002:
set the crank where you want it then shove the car in gear , if its consistently pulling it round as you tension it then i would line it up one tooth out so that it falls into line when you tension the belt

turn it over a few times with a socket and double check the marks before starting

matthg40:
Nice one mate nobody has ever suggested putting it in gear will give it a try tomorrow thank you

NealPeal:
I'd just check, it is the 0 mark on the pulley, there's a couple? I ask just because any tooth-misalignments will be integer multiples... think of it like h, the belt quantises the position.. Can't be half-teeth-out..
I feel for you I've just been through re oil-sealing that end, with the engine out first go and then again with the engine in and it is a pain when it's in! Remember to hang your belt-cover-clips on first would be what I learned from it...!
Best of luck Matt, the "in gear" tip is a good un I hopefully wont have to use, but it'll get stashed somewhere in the memory box now it's on the forum!

Cool
NEAL :-D

matthg40:
It’s all lined up to the 0 ready to be fined tuned with my timing light when I get to that process.which cover clips are your referring to by the way?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version