Author Topic: ...  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Roach

« on: July 16, 2018, 09:25:21 am »
Hi there,

I'm considering breaking my mk1 golf G40 project.

Could anyone advise me what the engine and box with a freshly built charger would be worth.. The engine came from a friends Polo, I cannot confirm mileage but it ran fine before I had it. I've refreshed alot of gaskets and done the water pump and cambelt.

I've just had the Charger rebuilt and had new oil lines, has a new 5pk rib belt kit with 70mm pulley, I also have the loom, ECU, basically everything to get it going and fitted in a mk1 as the mounts have been modified.

I'm trying to sell the car as a whole, but if this has a certain amount of worth, then it might pay me to break the car and keep the shell for a rainy day.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:15:31 am by Roach »

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Re: G40 engine value?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:42:30 pm »
How much effort would it be to fit it back into a mk2f shell as no doubt that'll appeal more to people on here if it was for sale.

Hard to say on value, from ones I've seen before £700-£1500 tops but usually this stuff is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Offline Roach

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:30:48 pm »
Just charger mount and gearbox Mount you’d need.

I wasn’t marketing it to you guys specifically, I just thought you’d have the best understanding of the worth.

Engine
Rebuilt charger
Ecu
Loom
Shifter

Etc.

I was going to offer it to the Mk1 golf boys for 1200 quid as a complete conversion.. didn’t know if that was too steep.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:45:10 am »
who was the charger rebuilt by?  Was it a DIY job or done by someone like Jabbasport with the receipt with it?  I think that'll make a fair difference to the price.  The charger is by far the most expensive component. 

Is the gearbox a proper g40 ATV or a normal 5 speed (8P code)?

Not knowing the mileage of the engine is an issue too.

I'm not sure about £1200, but it does depend on the answers to these questions.  I assume it includes the loom wiring loom, ECU and everything needed?

Offline Roach

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:55:22 am »
who was the charger rebuilt by?  Was it a DIY job or done by someone like Jabbasport with the receipt with it?  I think that'll make a fair difference to the price.  The charger is by far the most expensive component. 

Is the gearbox a proper g40 ATV or a normal 5 speed (8P code)?

Not knowing the mileage of the engine is an issue too.

I'm not sure about £1200, but it does depend on the answers to these questions.  I assume it includes the loom wiring loom, ECU and everything needed?

OCD did the charger last month and yes I have a receipt.
It's a G40 box yes.
Lets assume its a high miler, purely because I don't know.
Yes it includes Loom ECU all ancilliaries, even lift pump and sender and external pump if needed.
Original intercooler and pipework

Plus some other bits if it went to a mk1 golf owner.

Driveshafts
Shifter
Intercooler

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:52:03 am by Roach »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:12:13 pm »
ok.  I think £1200 is a bit high but you might get a taker from the mk1 golf people given that you have those other bits already sorted to make it fit.  I'd put an advert out and see what happens.  I think more like a grand is it's money though.  Really hard to say, just depends who is looking at the time!

Offline Roach

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:38 pm »
Ok man, cheers for your input!

I’ll put it up at 1200 and take the hit if I get desperate.

Redundancy sucks. :/

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:38 am »
Out of interest, how much for the lot? I'm just curious, I had a £240 mk1 1.6 GTI 4spd about 15 years ago and loved it, they all seem mental money nowadays.

Offline Roach

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:17 am »
Out of interest, how much for the lot? I'm just curious, I had a £240 mk1 1.6 GTI 4spd about 15 years ago and loved it, they all seem mental money nowadays.

Well I just secured a deposit on the rolling shell, standard suspension, bring own wheels.. 5k.

That’s very reasonable for a 3 door 1974 car.