Author Topic: Seat belt retracted but won’t unwind.  (Read 4708 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Seat belt retracted but won’t unwind.
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:27:01 pm »
So I removed my perfectly working driver seatbelt and when I went to install it again, it had retracted the rest of the belt and was then jammed. It won’t unwind. Bought one for £20 on eBay and it arrived fully wound in and won’t unwind either and since these are sealed units, I’m lost as how to fix them.
I’ve honestly not come across anything so pointlessly annoying in a long time.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Adrian

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Seat belt retracted but won’t unwind.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:37:38 am »
Contact the seller and see what they say?

I'm assuming it's wound right in and so tight you can't get any slack in it to release the locking mechanism?

Tried squeezing/ feeding more belt out the end to give you a bit to pull? It'll wind tighter on the reel but may give you a bit of play to slacken the inertia lock off.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:55:50 pm »
Are you testing it the right way up? They are inclination dependant I know... If it's installed in the car it's right but if it's in your hand make sure it's the right way up or it'll not come out
Dunno, you probably know anyway, but hope this helps!
Bestest's
gNEAL

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:25 pm »
Contact the seller and see what they say?

I'm assuming it's wound right in and so tight you can't get any slack in it to release the locking mechanism?

Tried squeezing/ feeding more belt out the end to give you a bit to pull? It'll wind tighter on the reel but may give you a bit of play to slacken the inertia lock off.

There is a tiny bit of slack so it should be unwinding but it won’t. I’ll try to get some more slack with what you’ve suggested.

Thanks

Adrian

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:54 pm »
Are you testing it the right way up? They are inclination dependant I know... If it's installed in the car it's right but if it's in your hand make sure it's the right way up or it'll not come out
Dunno, you probably know anyway, but hope this helps!
Bestest's
gNEAL

Yeah, I’ve seen it online with the metal ball etc so it has to be operated in an upright position. I will however bolt it in the car and see if I can get it loosened. I’ll try anything at this point.

Thanks

Adrian

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
Just went out and did what you both said. Success haha. Thank you guys.

It’s why I love this forum.

Adrian