Author Topic: Alternator catalog No.  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
Alternator catalog No.
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:41 pm »
my engine is fm 91' but alternator is not original fm that engine.

Bought special tooth belt for better boost but belt is to big (it is original for G40 nd it should be ok)
If somebody can tell me catalogue no. fm his that I can find original one for my engine.

Tks in advance

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Alternator catalog No.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »
surely you need to change all the pullies to put a different belt on?

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:33:28 pm »
I changed all pullies but with this belt is to big. contact local diler for VW cars nd asked for new (original altelnator and tensioner)

Other thing is to find shorter belt with same type of tooth. but would like to hv original part on car nd cos of that I need catalog No. cos for '91 year there are 2 catalog no. - don't know the difference btw them.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:14:33 pm »
what are the numbers on your tooth belts?

there is some adjustment in your alternator too

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:18:20 pm »
I changed all pullies but with this belt is to big. contact local diler for VW cars nd asked for new (original altelnator and tensioner)

Other thing is to find shorter belt with same type of tooth. but would like to hv original part on car nd cos of that I need catalog No. cos for '91 year there are 2 catalog no. - don't know the difference btw them.

The toothed belt systems on the market aren't VW manufacture. There are a couple of different types on the market with slightly different tooth/belt profiles ( Pitstop Developements in the UK and RPM on the continent)so you will have to find out who made yours first.
A belt size of 1040x20x 8mm is a good place to start and should be available from anyone who sells belts.

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 07:17:27 am »

The toothed belt systems on the market aren't VW manufacture. There are a couple of different types on the market with slightly different tooth/belt profiles ( Pitstop Developements in the UK and RPM on the continent)so you will have to find out who made yours first.
A belt size of 1040x20x 8mm is a good place to start and should be available from anyone who sells belts.

The belt was made by Optimabelt  ??? I compare original G40 belt with this one nd only differrence is this tooth belt is 2 mm thiner than original. But if y. calculate 2 mm with full size (1040 mm) of belt y'll get calculation that tooth belt is to long nd I can't tense belt enough cos my alternator is not original (it's slite to big). Problem is, now I hv to buy now tooth belt which is shorter for 0,5 cm.
For the first hand I managed to place original belts on tooth pulleys nd they fits. As I could see, lader changed  sound when - it's louder nd hs got differend type of sound. This is normal or?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:03 am »
Can you put up pictures of your pulleys and the belt you are trying to use please?

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:19:07 am »
here are the pics

charger pulley is 65 mm nd belt is made especialy for it but it is to long (some 0.5 cm)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:20:39 am by Ä‘uro »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:46 am »
if alternator is not standard, i would suggest that it may be in a position which does not allow for belt tension.

Try a 1020 8m belt - or replace alternator with proper one!

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:55 am »
if alternator is not standard, i would suggest that it may be in a position which does not allow for belt tension.

Try a 1020 8m belt - or replace alternator with proper one!

well this is the major problem cos in Croatia is only 6 of G40 nd I don't know the catalog No for original alternator. if I should know it would buy original.

So can someone give a hand to find catalog No. for original alternator for G40.

2 PeteG40--> y're telling that original g40 alternator doesn't hv tensioner?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »
original g40 has a fixed alternator - with very little play (5mm)

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=129981&hl=alternator

look here and there are original and current g40 alternator part numbers

pete

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:23 pm »

Tks Pete y're my man.

ok this is a solution for those who want to buy original part.

BUT

for those who don't hv original altelnator but with tensioner nd don't want to change it...I think I hv a simple solution. for someone could be stupid but works.
Somebody told hv problem cos can't tens it enough... y. just hv to put one more tensioner for tooth belt bot on other side of belt (side without tooths) so pulley hs to be also without tooths and problem is solved. if i can't find proper belt I will do so nd make a picture that y. can see how I done it

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 07:31:09 pm »
far, far easier to just buy a shorter belt than try to rig up an extra tensioner!

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 07:46:12 am »
far, far easier to just buy a shorter belt than try to rig up an extra tensioner!

definitly correct but this is option if no other belt. it was on my mind.

MY OTHER QUESTION IS:

what is the price of rebuilt alternator? nd if there is possibility for shipping what would be price?