Author Topic: Shifter rebuild  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Agent47

• Members
Shifter rebuild
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:15 pm »
As the title, looking to rebuild my shifter mechanism, but I can't seem to get it out of the housing. Removed the 2 nuts but now I'm stuck. Does the stick come out of the ball arrangement?

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Re: Shifter rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:32:20 pm »
Hope this'd help,
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1992-120/7/711-46000/

It's an exploded photo, I'm amazed at this site!
NEAL

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:38 pm »
Thanks, it shows me how it comes apart but doesn't explain how to separate piece 8 from piece 23.
It's the only way to take it apart except from cutting the welded section away, not the end of the world as I'll be replacing it with a shirt shift kit but a bit tricky at home.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:37 pm »
Unless 16 does happen to do anything (if you can get to it!) I'd be intrigued to know!
I've spent an hour looking though the drawings and it's amazing what there is, but I am still looking to remember where the little (I think) fuel regulator vacuum hose that's still got a bit of brass nozzle sticking out of it goes, I'm not great with spatial awareness, if only there was a 3d version....
Good luck, I'll see if it's in the Haynes if you havent' already, I like an imaginary challenge!
Cheers Agent47, it's all fun!
NEAL

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:04:23 am »
The Haynes was my first port of call, says it just lifts out! 16 is part of my rebuild kit but I can't see any way of getting it out until it's all out. Even if it did still couldn't get the stick out due to that little claw bit keeping it all in. I'll keep on thinking

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
Hit it with a hammer is the answer. Found it's the same as a mk2 Jetta, and found a YouTube video.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 12:35:16 pm »
Yaheee, hammer is last port of call I know but sometimes yeah...! Yehaaa, good job perfectly executed!
A nice Saturday in the sun for us both playing with a car, my favourite leisure activity even if I really don't the sun…!!
And I found my oil-return banjo so it's all systems go for a fill-up and start-up chez-Neal, once my Mum's cooked us dinner!!!

Keep plodding on you can do anything; "how do you get to the moon?"; "One step at a time"!!

Fun, all cool memories one day ! :-D
NEAL

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 02:55:28 pm »
I wish! I'm still at work and hope to do it this evening. I'm just going by what I can see here
https://youtu.be/gUjskD3sD9U
It's not the best video but gives you an idea of what to do. Just wish I'd thought of it yesterday when I had time!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:06 pm »
Looks like interference fit so guesssing you did the job correctly. I remember undoing and removing stuff from underneath in the past, may be a mk2 Golf I'm thinking of. I remember pissing about with the heastshield in the tunnel.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 12:01:38 am »
Yeah, sorted it. Just had to get a bit more angle on the bearing. Just waiting on a new rubber gasket and I'll get it cleaned and painted, put back together and then find someone to weld my shifter up.

Offline Big Eric

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 03:34:58 pm »
HI There,
              I fitted the gear lever overhaul kit to my G without any problems, but i found the gear lever adjustment info in the
              Haynes a bit vague? has any one got or used the VW Template tool for the correct adjustment. I assume you could
              make one up if you know the dimensions of it.