Author Topic: Hello again, best regards from Leicester!  (Read 5411 times)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Hello again, best regards from Leicester!
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:07 pm »
Hello!
Just a hello, I rebuilt mine in 2010 after a big crash, and only just really got round to fixing the starter and oil leak that's kept it on my front.....

You know how it is, just when you've got the engine out a phone call comes from a hospital saying they want you to come in to talk about putting electrodes in your brain.!!
Thanks to (more) planned neuro surgery I might get to drive again still but the seizures mean I cant' really see me ever driving again...

But I still love having one, and will part with it one day, but for now I can dream... That 1st 140MPH-on-the-m5, that excess wind noise, the deep rumble of 800RPM..
Cheers, happy days wished
NEAL

[joke]
If you find yourself in the middle of no-where and need to know where you are, look up towards the stars... If you can find the plough, you've crashed into a tractor
[/joke]

Offline NealPeal

• Members
Re: Hello again, best regards from Leicester!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:50:41 pm »
Couple of pics

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:47:26 pm »
Glad to hear you're persevering! I remember reading about your bad luck a few years ago. I've got not health issues preventing me,  I'm just lazy......and I don't have a garage! I reckon I'd have built about ten cars by now if I had a garage.

Are you still able to drive but just not allowed legally? You may still be able to take part in track days and the like?

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:28 pm »
Yay, hello!!!!!  I smiled, cheers, hmm track days…?! Cor you've had yours ages phew... (I write mine off at an average of 1 every 5 years, you've done well!!) We both registered on here about the same time, it's been 10 years!!

I had that first *public* seizure in ages in October (sat in the audience before a regular stand-up gig I do in Leicester & Derby...  I still did my set after half hour sleep and was funny, but.... There's at least a video of the set to prove it!

but that's done me, I wouldn't trust myself up a ladder even... I have decided I've gave up fun until there's more surgery done, even stopping playing indoor-bowls in case I scare them!
I just sit here writing code, making little bits on the 3d printer and feeding the hedgehogs at night... The car is similar, something to play with..! Until it gets told to bury me..... :-|
Someone waved £4000 cash in my face for it last year (probably thinking it was a MK1 golf GTI!) but still these are rarer!. Only takes one demonstration of it running to sell it to someone racy! We're spraying the roof again where next-door jetwashed sand all over it but that's fine, will look brand new again again again!

Yeah I wouldn't trust me and a track day at the moment there are daily blackouts and weekly "screamers" .The epilepsy tablets are *just* like I remember magic-mushrooms and I find the benefits of canabinols twice a day :-) so the world is a bit psychotronic psychedelic!.. I'd love to come to see a track day one day, just too far from Leicester to get trains and busses.. And I'm jobless/potless/!, but I do get a free busspass and teeth and glasses at 42!!! :-)

There's an appointment to chat about surgery just came for the 4th July.. 10am, north London..
I wish I could go to London *just one more time in the Polo* (although at about 18MPG) but as it is we're going in a Hybrid Toyota (65MPG) ..!

I am lucky to live with my parents, have my dad to fix the cars with in his garage with loads of tools, with a lathe and 3d/normal printers and a Swimming Club data to administer.! We bought the engine lift off Ebay for £90 and will sell it when we're done!!

Cor, for the days when Worcestershire was only an hour/half away
Cheerz Ereeiz
NEAL :-)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:59 am »
Hi Neal, glad to see you're still tinkering with the old G40.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:01 pm »
Tinkering, yeah!!! Love it, nice one  hayesey, you've still not grown up either then :-) ...!
It is just so simple which does appeal.. It is just a shame it's so cramped, no room to take the starter off without whipping the whole unit out..!

Amazingly the lump dropped in today in 20 minutes and is ready for wiring up in the morning!! I might get to drive it 5 meters up and down the drive tomorrow, 1st time driving anything but a (fun!) lawnmower in 5 years!..

I can still do loads of stuff but need an oppo in case I have a blackout... That's life, cool!

Big smiles matey, we'll meet one day!
NEAL

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »
Nice to hear you still have it, there are quite a few long term owners still on here (my first one was in 2002). Always good to have a goal to look forward to. Good luck with the ops.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:06 pm »
Ya know when you're one bolt short, and no one can get you one off a shelf or drawer you thought would. Even the diesel pump rebuilders and normal parts place can't get one weird thread it is, but VW can (from the part number catalogue from the "cam cover clip" question) BUT it won't be there till Tuesday.!

We've all been there I am sure.... It would be, the charger-oil-return-banjo-bolt wouldn't it.... Except for that everything is on but the tailpipe.. All the wiring's done; The water's in, the oil can go in;

But that part-number website was so useful I'd like to thank Eeeriz for making it easy now to find anything!!!!! :-D

About my most popular video on the tube-channel is it starting 1st time years ago, I'll do another!!!
https://youtu.be/06xFxdSiaXA
NEAL

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:45:06 pm »
AND I HAVE FOUND THE MISSING BANJO!!!!

In a couple of hours the engine will be full of oil & water & exhaust on ready to test!!!

Then it'll start! Once again J142WLS is road-worthy if not soon MOT'd….
It cost me £1800/yr insurance and £20/day (65p/L petrol prices!) to work before the last crash.. I can't tax or insure it now, the DHSS giving me £120/wk for being ill not enough for both bills and transport.!. And I'm medically not allowed to drive it (but at least I get a bus-pass..!!

But I bet my Dad will "second car" insure it for a few days to MOT it and get it ripped around to blow the dust off....

Happy daze!"!! :-)
NEAL

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:15:21 pm »
FLIPPING HECK...

The fuel-pump relay fixed the no-fuel-pump thing... Taking the dizzy off I got the injectors to fire and a coil-spark by moving the rotor past the hall-sensor... Nice big spark, nice batch-click from the injectors, seemingly perfect...

BUT no-start, and after a bit, NO STARTER....

So the work done to take the engine out to get to the starter which I thought we'd fixed has got to be done again...

Time's a ticking....
NEAL ???

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:05 pm »
AND TODAY SHE (it) STARTED!!!
2 or 3 Days of it just turning over drove me mad... It's electronic but "hardly" so I'm confident of anything really... Re-springing the dizzy, cleaning the plugs over and over, replacing broken relays, lost banjo bolts...
It's probably just the bleeding (of the) fuel rail that has just made it start... Runs understandably strangely without the charger spinning but the belt can go on for that now it's filled with oil. Filled with coolant and sprayed in the next week it can be forgot for a bit, I can go away happy for now!! Still 2 patches of welding easy enough

Cheers, been fun again mr VW... :-)
NEAL