Author Topic: diagnostic reader help  (Read 23057 times)

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
Re: diagnostic reader help
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 09:57:20 am »
im running out of ideas fast

all the bits n bobs like ecu/dizzy check out as proper gt parts ....could i have a nz loom ?  are they different /same

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 02:13:03 pm »
This may sound real daft, you're an engineer I bet...!
But is there any difference taking one pluglead off at a time, and one injector lead? And have you earthed *every**thing*? Just a though because I've just got mine back under lambda control by sticking a jumplead between the battery and the exhaust..!
Dunno mate, remember, the more painful the sorting, the bigger the smile when it's sorted.!
NEAL :-)

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »
bit of success today

drove to a mates house 2 hrs away that has a gt , we swapped loads of stuff and compared wiring , nothing wrong

then tested the fuel rail /isv wiring and mine was differant , turns out my fuel pump relay although it had the same pins and diagram the pins were in a differant order , anyway another relay fitted and it hot starts every time so far

all afm are the same - not great unless tweaked so another thing proved im on the right track

idle is still a bit strange and much worse with o2 connected ...will press on now i can trust it start i can use it a bit more
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:45:54 pm by steveo3002 »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »
Yeehaaa.! Phew yeah you can't beat having a working spare to swap bits, that's been key to my life really, copiers, laptops, the 1st mrs etc :-P... I have never seen an airflow meter on a polo so I go by your better knowledge! I've actually searched but can you just tell me what an ISV is? is it that thing on the back of the engine with a couple of pipes?

Funny but this year I have the odd trouble where I have to wiggle the wires to the fuel relay to get it to pump again...! A new relay didn't help and wiggling doesn't make it go off when I try, but sometimes it doesn't pump...

That £14 meter, I meant to send the link earlier but I've been covered eyeball deep in oil
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14PC-Engine-Oil-Pressure-Test-Kit-Tester-Low-Oil-Warning-Devices-Garage-Car-Tool/263826779449?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
Plumbs straight into the oil, and easily adapted for the fuel.. It's got a 500psi meter but shows enough movement to see fuel and oil...

Cool matey!
NEAL :-D

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2018, 09:48:50 pm »
isv = idle stabilizer valve...round thing under the inlet , think it opens and closes to let more air in ?

yeah weird on this relay ...to a casual glance it all matched up , dont really see how it ran with it but it did , was the last bit we checked too lol

keep it up with the vcds pics , i can try and get some soon , would be good to have a thread showing what it should or shouldnt read 

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2018, 10:55:21 pm »
[edited]Ah, ISV I didn't know there was one on the G models..! [/edit] Oh that big lump of metal round the back with the water and stuff going into it.!!

I (think) thought ours relies on the timing for idle-speed, that nice 1000rpm idle to 800rpm drop, such a noticeable effect must come from somewhere I thought.. Low compression engines are presumably easy to set the idle speed just by fixing the timing interval.? Spark it 32 times/second, that's 960RPM (2 sparks per rev), and can't be faster or slower..? Dunno, any thoughts?

Coincidental but I spent 2 minutes this afternoon with the "lead" connected and working, and then spent an hour trying to get it going again, and it's slipped into "high latency" somehow I don't know.!

I was still searching to see if there's a throttle-position change reading I can use to show me when the dodgy Wide-open switch is working in big letters, only slightly easier than going in with a meter but the way it'd be done if I was a proper bloke!! :-P

I did buy a fuel-pump-single-closing-contact relay to put in mine and could see that the other relay plug had a wire to the normally-closed too so I thought I wished I'd bought one of them instead to make it interchangeable. :-?  Maybe it's unrelated (but maybe is), mine does wait 5 seconds after turning off the ignition to shut off the (I am guessing don't quote me) ECU.. Things like the lambda heater and a footwell relay seem to go off after a delay

Cool Steve, now I know a bit more about GT's.!
Happy daze
NEAL :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:57:14 pm by NealPeal »

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
just heard back from the injector cleaning place

one inj frigged , another works but he suggests not using it

might be one step closer to sorting it  :P

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:03 am »
YAHHEEEEE!!!! There's your fat lady warming up to sing then thanks.:-).
Electrically or mechanically dubried.? Leaking or blocked?
How much is a set, can you buy them in singles off a shelf; Or refurbish them?
Intresting  stuff!

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »
dunno whats up , the guy messaged me to say theyre in the post , prob have some report with them hopefully

i have some spares so will send them in as well £8 each to clean /test

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »
How you doin with it matey? A custom ecu could be the thing if you're still struggling, i wouldn't blame you I like the idea of one but probably not now mine seems to work yahee! Had *great* results with matt's to, they're great when they work!!
Bestest's :-D
Neal

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2018, 01:49:27 am »
Don’t give up on it I’ve been trying to sort my running issues for over 2 years now and me and Neal sorted it today.it runs perfect and I’m now smiling from ear to ear.so don’t give up just keep trying one thing at a time it’s painful and frustrating but you’ll find it in the end I did we the knowledge and help of others.they are 25 year old cars they are going to have problems we just need to stay on top of them if you need any advice give me a shout

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2018, 04:50:48 pm »
not  much to report , injector clean might have improved it a little , still has a wierd idle

need to mot it so will see if their emissions reading sheds any light on it

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 06:44:23 pm »
Cor wish I could tell you that one thing to fix it.
I see you're looking at that new ECU I'd like to see one... I'd like to make one more but I bet there are actually automotive regulations meaning it'd have to go to the DVLA or MIRA something dunno… I'd like to test a RAMPs board output to check it'd drive the coil, fuel relay and injectors but it does normally do small CNC and 3d printers so bound to really. Probably driven from a mega-2560, more memory and inputs/digital outputs than you could throw a stick at. The only thing I might worry is the knock sensor... If it's looking for frequencies then I'll have to re-learn the FFT stuff, if it's just a voltage spike then that's a piece of pee....

Matt,yes, we did well... Specially after it all worked, and then suddenly wouldn't start for a bit, heart in mouth!! You've seen me do my thing, no worries!
Cool matey, nice to chat
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 05:31:48 pm »
took it for an mot today

pig rich 9-10% 

i can adjust the afm to get it sensible but it runs terrible , really isnt right and doesnt like not being rich

tried an unmessed with afm and the same , makes sense why the o2 sensor makes it worse , its trying to lean it out and for some reason the car doesnt like it

im out of ideas lol

fuel pressure gauge turned up...seems on spec 

Offline steveo3002

• Members