Author Topic: subframe  (Read 14125 times)

Offline bbvw

• Members
subframe
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:06:32 am »
hi people, ive heard alot bout subframes for the g40 but where can u get then from, and wots the best 1 to get? do u need todo any mods to the g to get it to fit? wot difference does it make to the g?  ;D

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: subframe
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:50 pm »
The full subframe with wishbone conversion is the one to go for. They fit to the cars existing suspension mounting points, so shouldn't be any need to modify anything.
The subframe ties in the suspension pick up points and stiffens the front end of the bodyshell up considerably. The conversion does away with the standard anti roll bar which was supposed to control castor (which it doesn't do very well at all) and obviously roll. In place of it tension struts are used which are connected to the subframe via adjustable ball joints and then into the TCA's where the old anti roll bar went. These allow for castor adjustment and virtually illiminate the castor geometry issues you get with the standard setup.
You have two options of where to buy, both are very good. Yoof (Pete) on here runs PPP and has been selling them for a while, contact him for details.
Alternatively you can get one from PPS. The guy that runs it is over on the Polo3 site (his forum name is volksnorm). 
Hope this helps,
Richard.   

Offline bbvw

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:35:33 pm »
thanks thats great,ill be looking to get one soon, i understand it now.  ;D

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:42 pm »
is their any reason anyone can think of why the ppp frame is better than the pps frame?? im looking to buy one but their is quite a big difference in price between the 2 and im just wondering why? is the ppp frame better quality? im confused

steven

juan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:04:39 pm »
is their any reason anyone can think of why the ppp frame is better than the pps frame?? im looking to buy one but their is quite a big difference in price between the 2 and im just wondering why? is the ppp frame better quality? im confused

steven

Ive just bought a pps frame, it took a week from me ordering to it turning up on my doorstep. Quality wise i haven't fitted it yet but it looks great and really well made, all good welds and its got a really good powdercoated finish aswell :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:08:03 pm by juan »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »

steven
The PPP frame is a slightly different design which costs more to make. The PPP frames were developed on a few cars before being sold on the open market, and are based on a design which was used successfully in a G40 racer for 3 seasons.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:06 pm »
The other difference is that the rear beam of the subframe which goes over the exhaust is held onto the main frame by rose joints on the PPS one and on the PPP one its welded which is much much stiffer for the latter version for obvious reasons.

juan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:49:58 pm »
The other difference is that the rear beam of the subframe which goes over the exhaust is held onto the main frame by rose joints on the PPS one and on the PPP one its welded which is much much stiffer for the latter version for obvious reasons.

The back arm on the pps subframe hasn't got rose joints at either end, but it is detachable and adjustable :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:05:38 pm by juan »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »
Every few months this comes up for debate, the only things I'll say are:

1) Ours are more expensive as they've been properly developed on OUR cars, not customers. We've taken the frames to the limits which most will not, we've done this at our expense. No one else has run the stickiest tyres, and a 225bhp motor to try and break one, no one else has done 3 season in a G40 Cup Car, we've engineered and designed this product to last, we're not cashing in on a passing phase. Out of 30+ frames we've now sold one has come back to have the holes re-positioned due to the car having a new front end.

2) We pay a professional to make our frames, I'm a competent welder with basic certification to prove, but I'd rather a coded welder make safety critical parts for my car, and of course my customers/friends cars. With the relevant years of experience necessary to do a precision task- I could pay a monkey to do this job, and flog frames for £249 etc, but I'm not into making masses of cash from this, it's a hobby really.

Any questions please ask, I've yet to find someone who isn't satisfied with their subframe/wishbone conversion from us  :)

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 04:41:27 pm »
I have the PPP frame fitted to my car and I have had a PPS on in my hand to compare.

The PPP one was made from more hardcore materials but I think PPS now do a CDS one for a little more.

The subframe is the best thing I have ever bought for my G40 and would recommend it to everybody. If I was to do it all again I would go for the PPS one purely because it means the gearbox can come out without taking the subframe off.

Saying that I have yet to see the PPS frame in action so might not want to runt he risk of down-grading.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:13:41 pm »
i have a ppp one other than the amount of time waiting for it to come it all looks good.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:39:02 pm »
bear in mind that it's not going to be as rigid if it's bolted together than seam welded. 

More than happy with my PPP frame, one of the best things I ever bought for the polo. 

juan

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:44:22 pm »
The one i got from pps was in cds and it was £360 delivered :)

Money was the reason for choosing the pps one, but i hope to really test it out once my car is up and running properly.

It would be good to hear from anyone that has fitted and have been using the pps frame :)

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:22:02 pm »
It would be good to hear from anyone that has fitted and have been using the pps frame :)

well thats the point. There is loads of hype but the only person who I know to run a pps one on a decent g is steve PSD

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:27 pm »
Fair enough, but how many of us are going to be running monster power on track? I got a frame to improve one of the G's biggest weaknesses; shit handling on the road. I reckon most people who buy a frame will have one for that reason. I got a PPS which was an easy fit but which I haven't really put to the test yet, but the quick burst I had with it was an eye opener. In truth this thread's beginning to sound like a couple of old giffers arguing Rolls Royce/Bentley. I really don't think that in a real life, on road test, anyone would be able to tell the differance.