Author Topic: Damage To Charger Casing  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Shamas85

Damage To Charger Casing
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:22:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

I recently had my charger rebuilt, and since the rebuild I have done approx 1000 miles in the car.

I noticed when I removed the charger from the car it had been damaged in a past life (looks like its been dropped) and 1 of the bracket mounting holes has been crushed / taken most of the impact. After further inspection of the charger I also noticed a hairline crack in the oil return line port. It looks like someone has tried to repair it in the past.

It works fine and is maintainig boost, but unfortunately on closer inspection, oil appears to be dripping from the port, down the oil return line hose, onto the back of the intercooler. I applied sealant to the joint once the banjo bolt was in place and also applied ptfe tape to the thread of the bolt in the hope it would stop the leak...no such luck!  :'(

Has anyone ever had to repair a charger with this type of damage before?

I know welding cast ally can be a nightmare, it is just better to cut my losses and source another casing?

Cheers.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Damage To Charger Casing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:09:56 am »
They do tig ok.  But the charger needs to be apart to do so - and seals etc out.

often damage is caused by leaving oil drain and mounting bolts in them while they are in the post!  Couriers aren't known for being gentle.

casings arent too expensive, but arent common either.  it could add to the aggro if yours has been ported too.

Offline Shamas85

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the information Pete, my charger is standard.

I dont suppose you have a spare casing in good condition you would be willing to sell?  :o

Cheers

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:23:20 pm »
I'll have a look.  I dont think so...

Offline Shamas85

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »
Much appreciated.

Failing that, if you have a complete spare standard charger you are will to sell please let me know.