Author Topic: mk1/mk2/mk3 polo rear suspension  (Read 4779 times)

juan

mk1/mk2/mk3 polo rear suspension
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »
Maybe this is a silly idea and i might sound like a bit of a newb but i thought id post up anyway.

Ive been wondering would it be possible to implement independant rear suspension onto the mk1/mk2/mk3 polo? Maybe a setup similar to this (but obviously adapted to the rear)

I suppose im not so much trying to ask if it would be possible but more importantly what would the advantages and disadvantages be? Also would there be any major problems with doing this?

Am i right in think that using an independant rear setup would reduce the amount of stress being sent throught the chassis?

Juan

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: mk1/mk2/mk3 polo rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:43:28 pm »
That is a very good question Juan.
I've honestly never really thought about trying to improve the rear suspension in that way.
On the face of it, allround fully independant suspension is probably the ultimate setup but I don't know whether it'd make much of an improvement on the Polo mk1-3 in real terms.
TBH, the standard rear end layout is very good. The damper/springs are mounted vertically and right behind the hub. This means spring rates can be kept quite low and the dampers can work as intended. The beam's mounting bushes are of a pretty good size too and the mounting points are in strong areas under the car. If only as much thought had been put into the front suspension design we'd all be laughing. ::)
The stresses sent through to the rear of the car are minimal - with the car being so light, suspension travel is fairly limited in use.
As you say, it certainly would be possible to fabricate an independant setup for the rear but in practise I don't think it would serve much of an improvement.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »
For the best small car rear set-up I've ever owned is that on the Peugeot 106's (I own'd a Mk1 & 2 Rallye's several years back when I could afford to buy new cars)
I consider picking up a 106 rear beam/torsion bar assy a having a fettle to see what lines up etc, thats if I ha a spare Polo to play with and loads of spare time(which I don't).

Any thoughts out there? ???

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »
i would say independant would be an awesome idea is someone was able to fab that
i'd most deffo buy that

the difference between eg civics and mk3 coupes are like trolleys vs trains

i think my rear set up sucks, back end always wants to step out and with havin no weight in the back makes it really skippy.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
personally, I think it'd be a heck of a lot of effort for a very small gain. 

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:54:07 pm »
personally, I think it'd be a heck of a lot of effort for a very small gain. 

That's exactly what I said, just without my waffle!