Author Topic: Rolling road information. Ever wondered how it works and why figures differ?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
I'm reading up on Emerald ECU stuff as I'm pretty sure I will be going down that route later this year. I've come across a page on their site that explains Rolling roads, how figures are calculated, why some people say one thing and others say the opposite, why different gears produce different figures, etc.

It's an interesting read and explained quite well.

Here's a link in case you fancy reading up on it!

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/rolling-road

Offline Agent47

• Members
What has made you decide to use an Emerald over anything else?
I'm going to go to a standalone ECU with my build and will probably use an ME221 like the one in my MX5 turbo. Just wondered about differences and reasons to go to a standalone.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
I asked a while ago and Andy (PPP) suggested it, I then read a bit about them and they seem to offer a lot of function for not a lot of money (compared to others) from what I can gather. I've not got much to compare it to though as I'm still trying to learn about them and what's what with each. I watch everything Mighty Car Mods do and looked up Haltech (they do a lot with them) but they seem super expensive and (I think) are based in Australia.  Emerald are UK based, near Norwich and seem to offer a personalised service, as in you can get in touch with them direct (the guys that make them/software) and they reply.
Another is MoTec, think I used one of their dizzy to coilpack conversion kits on a couple of old race cars I ran about ten years ago and was impressed with the quality of parts, they seem to have 101 options available as they've been going a long time. I'll probably end up making a spreadsheet with the options, who does what and costs, etc.

Then there's megasquirt, sure it's probably fine but I'd rather buy a product that has support, I know will work and if worst comes to worst, I can take the car to them to get them to do the tuning (they offer this service).

I'd be interested to hear what ME221 is and who makes it, etc. Same goes for anything else if anyone knows of others or has experience (good or bad) with something, I'm still at the information gathering stage.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
A little update, for those interested,  I forgot I'd emailed emerald enquiring about it in September last year and was quoted;

ECU                                        £595

Post                                       £12

Mapping here:                  £375

Plus VAT @ 20% = £1178 in total

I'd fit a crank sensor and remove the dizzy. Whilst at it I'd replace the loom too as I intend on keeping this car until I die. £78+VAT for a flying lead loom (open ended loom for me to fit connectors to and route into position. Plus the cost of replacing the connectors as/where needed.

Offline Agent47

• Members
I watch MCM as well and i'm certain Haltech are in Australia.
Price for the ECU seems pretty good but look up the ME221 as it has a load of features and is UK based, it also has an ever growing online community that are pretty helpful. I'm biased as i already have one (not got involved with using it myself yet) and i know the guy who makes them (year below me in school and lives 5 miles from my car). I'd suggest ringing them and having a chat and see what you think.

They say "Do anything"

"With the in-built general purpose tables modules, the ME range of ECUs allows custom functions to be easily created. From Oil Pressure/AFR/Boost combination engine protection to gear based traction control that modifies ignition timing and reduces nitrous flow, or even just a simple fuel gauge readout – the ME221/ME442 platform allows all of this. No longer worry “can the ECU do this?” – its now a case of “what do you want it to do?”. Chain multiple tables and strategies to create even more complex control systems. The ECUs features are limited only by your imagination!"

https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/products/universal-engine-management-systems/me221-wire-in/