Author Topic: Handling isue  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Handling isue
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:19:34 pm »
The fact that G40s have poor handling is because they have low body rigidity, or  they have 13' wheels?

Offline superchargedpolo

• Members
Re: Handling isue
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:32:23 pm »
Neither, I would say.
I think the Mk3 shells are pretty good for their era and wheels that are any bigger than 13" or 14" will just make you torque steer.
The front suspension set up, on the other hand, is poor.  If you want the car to handle go for one of the subframes that Polo Performance make and an LSD if money is no option.  Or just replace some of the ageing rubber mounts for newer poly ones.

Not saying that this is gospel, but this is a far better direction to head in rather than the typical barry answer, big rims!

Cheers
Craig

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Handling isue
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »
I am afraid that if i use 14inch wheels i will loose in acceleration...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Handling isue
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »
well if you chose the right size tyres then the overall size and the wheel + tyre will be the same.  Even if you do go a little bit bigger you wont notice it.

I don't think the mk3 chassis is good for it's era, it was already about a 20 year old design when brand new!  The front end is pretty weak and prone to flexing. Some seam welding, subframe etc.. all helps.

Offline superchargedpolo

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Handling isue
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:21 pm »
I agree the chassis is piss but the shell is not too bad.  If you run them with standard power you shouldn't really need to stitch weld etc.

That said people that go for sub frames are usually running non standard power.