Author Topic: BOTTOM end gone  (Read 3859 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
BOTTOM end gone
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:58:46 pm »
After some advice really the bottom end has gone on my g40 so I’m just curious of what options I have as to which replacements I can put on.i could quite easily Just replace the 2 knakard pistons but it’s going to be a major task to find them.so I’m looking at just putting a different bottom end on just instead.so if anyone can help please let me know thanks.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: BOTTOM end gone
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:30:24 pm »
you can't use different pistons they are specific to the g40.

Put a wanted ad on here, there must be people with spare g40 pistons who have converted to 1341cc

The actual bare block itself, you can use pretty much any 1272cc polo block and swap all the innards over. 

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:38:17 pm »
I know I have to use g40 pistons and I’ve already put a wanted add up.ive had this problem before I was just wondered if what other options I had and what work I needed to to interanally.ive looked at forged pistons just wondered what blocks bottom ends where available.thank you for getting back to me and offering advice.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:33:18 am »
ok well in that case, any 1272cc block will do, just put the g40 crank, pistons & rods into it and job's a good un.  It's just the pistons that are different.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 12:10:45 pm »
ok well in that case, any 1272cc block will do, just put the g40 crank, pistons & rods into it and job's a good un.  It's just the pistons that are different.

most 1.3 blocks only have an engine mount with 3 lugs, no oil drain drilled and no knock sensor tapped

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:56 pm »
Awsome thanks boys much appreciated

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:19:43 pm »
yes Pete is right, my memory is no good!  Can be used but you'd need to get those modifications made to it.  They'd need drilling & tapping.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »
I tend to type "etka online" into Google to get the VW parts catalogue. It's really handy for looking up parts and cross referencing onto other models. Not much use for the pistons perhaps but good for other parts searching (I've noticed you looking for various bits).

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:13:37 am »
I do currently use etka when I last went into vw they gave me the software to use it’s been very handy for part numbers but pistons are very expensive as you can imagine and I was hoping someone may have some laying around somewhere.that was my plan anyway but it’s proving a difficult task so far

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:02 pm »
I have pistons "laying" around. Would need to remove them from the rods but i won't be using them in the future.