Author Topic: Standard suspension springs  (Read 3539 times)

Offline AxA

• Members
Standard suspension springs
« on: January 13, 2018, 01:12:23 pm »
Hello,

Looking for a set of new standard springs as part of restoration. VW heritage are providing a cost but have asked for the paint code located on the original springs. I do not have the originals so as far as a paint code its a dead end. Can anyone help or point to another source to purchase standard springs?

Many thanks
Neil

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Re: Standard suspension springs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:24 pm »
Hi Neil,

Front springs are 871411105 951 with (3) paint markings yellow orange orange
Rear springs are 871511115A 951 with (2) paint markings brown white
(Taken from VW parts list)

I confirmed the above colour codes on my 1991 H reg G40 which is completely standard and has never had the springs replaced. There only seems to have been one set of standard springs for G40 anyway; I think they were about 10mm lower than other Polo models. I'm surprised VW heritage needed to ask as the paint details are included on the VW parts database. There are various versions online if you do a search for 'VW ETKA'. G40 variants are listed as model PY. 

Regards,
Nick

Offline AxA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »
Excellent and detailed information, many thanks Nick.

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:37:04 pm »
Nick
Where did you source yours in the end?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »
You could put a wanted ad on here. May get a second hand set. I'm not sure how close to the intended spring rate they'd be after 25 years but could be a choice if you're struggling to get originals. Another consideration would be to talk to eibach, koni, etc who all manufacture OEM stuff. One of them may have been the OEM supplier at one point or another.

I understand the whole wanting it to be as the brochure said but working in the automotive industry I can confirm parts get changed constantly and aren't always reflected in the brochure, so it's not the end of the world if originals aren't in existence anymore as...... well, it's just a spring with a set rate on it basically!