Author Topic: Dash lights go off  (Read 3275 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Dash lights go off
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »
Every so often the dashboard lights and ignition power all cut off and will randomly come back on again after a few minutes.ive not touched anything the car just cuts out and the ignition just dies.anyone have any idea what may be causing this issue at all?thanks in advance matt

Offline 642855659

• Members
Re: Dash lights go off
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:42:02 pm »
I had the same problem, but maybe a bit more extreme, my problem was the thick cable between the starter and alternator has split and was on its last few strands.

Check for any breaks in main cables.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:21:22 pm »
Thank you for the heads up will check that soon as the rain stops I've recently changed the altantor so it could well be that wire

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:33:27 pm »
May be worth checking the plugs in the back of the fuse board if it's not the cable between starter and alternator. There's only a bit of friction holding them in - no clips!

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »
I've found that before that the wires under the dashboard are all floppy so I cable tied them up so they couldn't move but they have moved before so they could of moved before will also check that thanks guys

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »
get a multimeter and set it to resistance then connect each end to each cable and give it a good waggle, if the numbers jump about then the wire/connector(s) have an issue. Might save you physically eyeballing each and every cable.

I would go with the alternator one though, that can cause lots of problems. Also earths, always check your earths! Get some copper grease and slather it all over the connections when putting earths back on. If the connections are corroded then clean them up with electrical contact cleaner/ file/ anything abrasive to scrape the corrosion off. They're not the best to begin with, now they're minimum 22 years old, imagine how much moisture has touched them, how many hot/ cold cycles they've been through. If the cable can move with the engine, e.g. the earth by the charger, that cable has flexed with every movement of the engine so could be breaking in the middle under the sheathing.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
I have had problems with earths which led me to replacing them all and sanding away a lot of rust and corrosion.i didn't think of greasing them up so will give that a try thanks for the advice will also get my multimeter on the go aswell