Author Topic: Stephen Brear Gearboxes  (Read 9076 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Stephen Brear Gearboxes
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
Based in west Leeds:
Butterbowl Works
Ring Road
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS12 5AJ

Came recommended by a few people, top set of blokes, gearbox was stripped and rebuilt with a few new seals and the whole box closed and sealed for £100 all in.
was ready to pick up the next day.

price and service was top notch

Offline gaz g40

• Members
Re: Stephen Brear Gearboxes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:38 pm »
Nice set of blokes arnt they! I hate it when you go to an engineering place an you get that vibe where they cant be arsed an are snotty.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »
Could you list what seals they replaced?

Be good to know as JP at Silverstone usually charge £250 for this.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:54:41 pm »
I paid 150 for my new diff fitting. They gave the box a once over aswell. Changed a seal that was damaged getting to the diff?

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:52 am »
He changed the unit thing with 2 springs that keeps the gearshift upright, and the selector seal, and another larger seal that i wasn't familiar with. He also threw in a spare selector seal and took a few minutes to explain how i should go about changing it when it starts leaking. If that isn't top customer service then i dont know what is.

We also chatted about oils and he suggested the cheapest 10/40 mineral oil (own brand morrybob) for these boxes, the higher viscosity helps the synchros

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:28 pm »
had dealings with these guys too, flawless and consistent too. highly recommended.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:05 am »
I just read this, can you clarify they recommend 10/40 mineral oil, as in the same stuff you'd put in an engine? I thought the recommended grade was 80something? Did they put any friction reducer stuff in there, e.g.. activ8 or similar? I ask as I've recently started learning a bit about boxes and thought it was always a thick oil on older cars? I'm also considering sending my box somewhere for an inspection /overhaul so any recommendations welcomed!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:32:12 pm »
My memory isn't what it used to be, however that's what he recommend. I ended up using the vw gearbox oil as i had already bought some.

I would need to have a read up on the breakdown of various oil types under pressure and temperature to understand his reasoning.