Author Topic: Oil seals only  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Martyng40

Oil seals only
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:23:26 pm »
Ive been told that I have dropped an oil seal in my charger yesterday...

The charger was rebuilt 10 years ago wil bearings and seals and then the car was never run until about two months ago.

Will I be ok just to replace the oil seals or do I need to go the full hog again???

I'm wanting to get the polo back on the road as quick as I can cause it's getting into summertime....

Any help or advice is always welcome

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Oil seals only
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:59:19 am »
Impossible to say.  You need to get the charger opened up and looked at by someone who knows what they're looking at to say what needs doing to it.  If it's been sat for ten years then it could be in any state, largely depends how it's been stored in that time.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:57:13 pm »
yeah, if dry/warm stored, should be ok... if its been in a damp place... well who knows...

Only way to find out is to open it.

Pete

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:12:49 pm »
It was put back on the car and started but never ran until the last two years when the battery died so he gave up. As i said in my project section I only managed to prise it off him as he wanted a garage extension so I took it off his hands to allow him garage access...

I'm comfortable taking it off I think.. is it easy to split and maybe share pics on here