Author Topic: Are Mk3 hubs/struts all the same?  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Are Mk3 hubs/struts all the same?
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:52:11 pm »
I'm having some coilovers made up for my car at Gaz in the next few weeks.

They need a pair of front hubs to do the job, as you're all aware.

My car's a bit of a mongrel. It's got GT hubs and driveshafts, but G40 TCAs for the rose jointed bit. My GT ones were knackered.

There's a scrap yard near me who have a pair for £40 - and they'll post them direct to Gaz for £65 all in. Saves me piss arsing about with them.

Thing is, they're off a 1992 1043cc breadvan. The guy at the scrap yard said where the ball joint goes there's a size difference between some of the range. He said if you get the wrong one's it's "like a cock in a sock".

I'd have assumed that if any would be different, it'd be the G40 ones. But the G40 arms fitted into my hubs without any problems. So I'm confused.

Just to make sure then, are there any size differences to worry about?

I guess if push comes to shove I'll have to just use the 1043cc TCAs and fit poly bushes at some point.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:10:17 pm by Alex »

Offline Dan

• Members
Re: Are Mk3 hubs all the same?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:34:47 pm »
Don't buy em second hand Alex ! get new ones from GSF/ECP or VAG. Bet you can get em online from GSF for less than 65 delivered !

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
Shit, £17.60 each side from GSF.

Bugger.

I'll have to call the scrap yard first thing on Monday and tell them not to bother.

I'm surprised they're so cheap! It's part number 43807 I need, right? And that's the full hub, but without a bearing?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:48:39 pm »
As per usual, I've gone off and had a look around and I'm confusing myself straight away.

I've never seen mk3 suspension off the car. I need whichever bit has to be sent away to get cut up for the coilovers.]

Is that the hub?

Or is the hub a separate bit?

I'm finding threads where people are talking about sending struts off for coilovers.

Why can't Mk3s be simpler. ::)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »
Right, good old ETKA.

I take it I need part 13 - at least that's what I've got coming my way next week. Albeit with the hub, brake disc and suspension still attached.

That GSF price is for the hub itself (25) I take it?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Are Mk3 hubs/struts all the same?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:11:30 pm »
ETKA lists two sets of left and right "wheel bearing housings"  - one for the G40 and the other for the rest of the range.

That means mine will be the same as the ones I've got coming in the post I guess.

If the G40 arms work with mine I should be ok.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »
Alex, it's the strut housings (part 13 on that ETKA drawing)that Gaz require for the coilover conversion. The hub is a seperate piece that houses the wheel bearing and is pressed into the strut's bearing housing.
As far as I'm aware, all mk3 strut housings are the same. I think it may only be the mk1 (and perhaps a few early mk2's?) that used a smaller TCA balljoint and hence had a smaller hole in the strut.
Polo's are simple, you're just getting yourself in a tiz mate! ;D
The Gaz coilovers look to be a superb piece of kit, it's what I'd go for if I wanted coilovers.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:52:52 pm »
Cool, well I'll definately be getting that bit then, albeit with a load of shit I don't need.  :D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:50:43 pm »
scrapyard guy is incorrect, the ball joint fitting for the end of the TCA is the same on all the struts.

As far as I'm aware the only reason VW list different parts is that the G40 strut housing comes complete with the g40 specific shock already inside it.  I've had both struts next to each other and I can't see any difference.  I've had a variety of gt struts, 1.3 CL struts and 1.0 strut housings and they are all the same.

Also I think £65 is too much!  I've bought sets for £20 before and have also been given some.

Although I guess a large part of that £65 is the postage...  I've got two spare sets now, one spare set has had some metal removed to fit 4 pot caliper brackets, in the other spare set, one of them has a driveshaft still in it and I can't get the hub nut undone, I guess it needs fitting to a car in order to do it!  You'd be welcome to either set for a damn sight less than £65 but postage would be an issue.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 01:01:29 pm »
I thought he might be (especially as I've got a GT-G40 mongrel set up) but assumption's the brother of all fuck ups so I thought it'd be best to check.

TBH, it's probably easier just to leave things as they are and get them from this scrap yard. £25 sounds cheap for posting uprights, shocks, springs, brake discs and the TCAs. Plus I know Gaz will have everything they need then, as they've said they'll refurbish them for me, if they've got the whole lot at least it'll be a bolt on when I go down there. :)

That said, if there's any quibbling about postage prices it's a deal breaker. They wanted to charge £60 for the lot, plus postage, but there were two other scrap yards selling them for £40 so I said I wasn't going to pay any more than that. Plus the other two places wouldn't post them, and said it'd be Monday before they'd have a chance to take them off. I'm not here (Cardiff) during the week so it'd be next Saturday before I'd be able to pick them up, and the following Monday before I'd be able to post them.

Expensive, but convenient.  :D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:12:59 pm »
I guess £65 is ok since it basically means you'll not have to do anything yourself and they'll even post them for you.

Dare I ask what sort of money GAZ will be charging you?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:32 pm »
Special price. ;)