Author Topic: Mk2 - remote servo setup  (Read 4640 times)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Mk2 - remote servo setup
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:45 am »
Currently, my Mk2 is running G40 brakes with a Lockheed remote servo. I understand the Lockheed servo is designed for cars with a single circuit braking system; the Polo is a dual circuit. I noticed that the person that fitted it has joined the pipes (via a T-piece)  for the front brakes from the master cylinder to a single pipe which connects to the servo. Once the brake line leaves the servo, these are then T-pieced back out to each of the front brakes. If my understanding is correct, I think this renders the dual circuit braking setup useless in the event that part of the system fails. If this is the case, I'd like to remove the remote servo altogether.

I have a few questions:

First of all I'd like to check, can anyone confirm, is my understanding correct? Does the current setup remove the redundancy in the braking setup?

Secondly, I have the parts required to upgrade the brakes to a 256mm setup. How are people's experiences with Mk2's with 256mm brakes and no servo assistance? Is it decent enough? What's the braking effort like compared to a modern car?

Finally, the pipes from the master cylinder that have been joined are the one from the bottom, front and the one from the offside. If I return to a servo-less setup and want to feed those lines directly to each front wheel, does it matter which one serves which wheel? If it does matter, does anyone know which one goes where?

Many thanks in advance :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Mk2 - remote servo setup
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »
could you not just swap the master cylinder on your existing servo to a dual circuit one?

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:53:34 pm »
Good idea :) I've just had a Google around and I can't see any examples of anyone trying this though, so I wouldn't even know which parts to try if anything were available. There are dual circuit setups available, but I think space may be an issue with these. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:29:00 pm »
the other options is to just leave it!  I mean I can't imagine any of your brakes lines are particularly corroded are they?

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:30 pm »
Nope, they're all in good shape and the braided hoses look as good as new. I guess as long as I check them annually and replace them at the first sign of deterioration, there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »
yes I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd certainly not start ripping everything out just because of that.  I would just check the condition of stuff but this is what an MOT will also do for you anyway.  I'd check the condition of brake pipes etc... regardless.

if something fails, having a split system might help or it might not.  Prevention is better than cure :)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 05:17:58 pm »
Oh, the car is being rebuilt from the ground up regardless  :) Is in many pieces at the moment!

Thanks for your help and advice as always :)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:20:51 am »
Just to follow up, I've come across some dual circuit servos. I might get one of those and find somewhere for it to live, just for that extra piece of mind :)